Hill Holder Question

Hi, I'm curious to know. Let's say when I'm at the bottom of a hill, I start my Forester in 1st gear and of course the hill holder will kick in to hold the car until I release the clutch. However, when I depress the clutch again to change to 2nd gear and I'm still climbing the hill, will the hill holder kick in when depress the clutch?

Reply to
Poster

No, beacuse you are not using the brakes.

Reply to
Mike

The Hill Holder works by holding the brake-fluid pressure that you applied in the system as long as the clutch is held in , thereby keeping brakes engaged. The Hill Holder does not apply the brakes. Once the brake-fluid pressure is released, either by the Hill Holder valve or by letting the brake pedal up in normal situation, you must re-pressurize the system with the brake pedal.

So why doesn't the same apply when you're rolling to a stop? If I put the clutch in and select neutral when coming down to a set of lights, apply brakes, and then release the brakes while still holding in the clutch, why doesn't my car continue to brake? Safety feature?

-mark

Reply to
Mark H

The hill holder is sensitive to inclination of the vehicle.

See archives of this group, a link was posted that covered engineering of the device in detail. Probably about 2 - 4 weeks ago.

Reply to
Sparky Polastri

Hill holder also need a minimum brake pressure.

Reply to
Mike

"Sparky Polastri" wrote in news:426f928a$1_3 @newspeer2.tds.net:

Here you go:

Fuzzy Logic

I'm just curious, where under the hood can I this this nifty piece of technologie? Near the proportion valve or brake-booster or ? (photo ? ;-) )

Wilco

"Fuzzy Logic" schreef in bericht news:Xns96457A06E52ECbobarcabca@198.161.157.145...

Reply to
Wilco van Diest

Try rolling backwards down a hill and then touch and release the brakes. They will stay engaged. The hill holder requires the nose of the vehicle to be up.

Reply to
Rob Munach

A Studebaker invention from the 50's!!!!

Still amazes me that only Subaru picked up on it. Replaced my 86 GL's last summer, was leaking, thought about taking it out, but boy; they sure spoil you when it comes to hills. :)

Reply to
pheasant