03 Forester Hill Holder System

Does anyone out there with the 04 manual tranny still have the hill holder system?

I don't much like the system. The idea is good. But I personally think it should make it to the 1st gear only. It's because I used to back out from my garage everyday and found the hill holder system is always a hassle to do that since I have to back out slowly (check for people) with the clutch half way depressed. The hill holder system will kick in and cause the car to jerk a little. It's really annoying. Hopefully they will modify that to introduce either with an override switch or apply to 1st gear only.

Reply to
Daya

  1. The dealer can loosen it up if it annoys you.
  2. I think you can disable it. Don't recall, but their might be a fuse.
  3. Let the clutch out (in N), and it releases. Start with the handbrake instead, the way you do without the hill-holder. I realize that some of the time it could annoy, you aren't really doing a hill start.
Reply to
David

The hill holder can be disabled via adjustment, your dealer can do this for you...

I have noticed in my MY01, that the hill holder in reverse is nowhere near as severe as in my L-series... you'll find that if you release the clutch a little more gently, then you wont get the jerk...

the hill hold system, is connected to the clutch, so it's unlikely that it will ever be forward/reverse gear dependent...

Reply to
Andrew Morris

Oh, how sad. I really miss it. I didn't even know they were still making cars with that -- I thought it had gone the way of the secret pop-up center headlight and serious 4-wheel-drive with a low range. Our '02 Outback Sport sure doesn't have it: I just caught myself trying to start on a hill and expecting it today. It's amazing how I learn these little skill-things and then they stick with me years after I don't even have that car anymore -- but I can't remember people's names.

Reply to
David Buchner