Hood protector -what type?

Have a 2001 legacy and the paint on the nose of the hood has taken a bit of a beating from stones. Major chips have been touched up, but there are lots of hairline cracks in the paint from stone impact. Thinking of putting on a OEM bug deflector or a clear film type bra, but I am concerned about moisture or ice being trapped against the hood.

Wondering if the deflector is a PITA in the winter with snow and ice sliding down the hood and jamming under the deflector -also does ice build up damage the hood?

For the clear bras, does moisture wick in from the edges? I'm concerned of getting misture trapped underneath since the paint is cracked and you have to strip off the wax to apply the clear bra's -which sounds like a possible rust problem to me.

TIA F. Plant

Reply to
F. Plant

--------------------------------------------------------------- Alan Peterman al at scn.rain.com Tigard, OR As I grow older, the days seem longer and the years seem shorter.

Reply to
Alan Peterman

I've got the OEM bug deflector on my sedan and haven't had any problems with ice and snow. I can't recall ice or snow ever getting stuck underneath it. It does really help on the rock damage as the hood is fine but the fenders are now 'sandblasted'. I've heard that people have had really good luck with the

3M clear bra, although I would th> Have a 2001 legacy and the paint on the nose of the hood has taken a bit > of
Reply to
null

Unfortunately I bought it used so I'm just trying to prevent further damage and rust. I've touched up the major chips (anything down to primer) and will be getting it buffed out. Don't know what to do about the hairline cracks though. I think the clear bra is the best route except for the worry of not letting the cracks breath and potentially keeping them "slightly" damp for extended periods, as the membrane seems to be slightly permeable. Probably should fire an email to 3M and see if they have any idea if this is an issue.

F.Plant

Reply to
F. Plant

Reply to
null

Thanks. I also poked around on the 3M site and they say that if you remove the film at a later date it may pull up the paint around areas that have been touched up with touch up paint. I assume this is due to the damaged paint having seperated from the substrate around the impact area. May be same issue with cracks if they are due to impact?.

Don't know if it is an issue or not, as its only a problem if you remove the film. Odds are the only time you would do this is to repaint anyway.

F. Plant

Reply to
F. Plant

I am looking at one of the 3M kits... i am wondering... is there anyone hear who has had one over a year? one that has seen all four seasons?

How does it hold up?

How noticable is it, Really?

Do you wax over the plastic? or just stop waxing right at the edge?

thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Michael Smith