Sonata accessories.

Where do you all buy your Hyundai accessories?

I checked the dealership where I bought my Sonata for mud guards and they wanted $33/pair, plus 8% NY sales tax, and they couldn't get them in for three weeks. I searched around online and found this place and ordered them.

They charged $20/pair and about $8 S&H. I had them in less than a week for $49 total.

I got a nasty paint chip clear to bare metal on the front lip of my hood within two weeks of buying the car. This lip is very sharp, not radiused like my minivans and pickup, and obviously isn't going to stand up to flying debris. So, I decided to install the hood deflector. I also ordered this from the outfit above and got it in 4 days and installed it last evening. It was pretty easy to install, although I had to bend three of the four clamps in a vise in order to get them to tighten down sufficiently.

It looks like the deflector will do the job of keeping the stones from chipping the front of the hood, but it is a little cumbersome when opening and closing the hood. Also, I just came back from the first trip with it in place, and it makes noticeable wind noise starting at 35 MPH or so, and makes a whistling sound at about 60 MPH. It isn't super objectionable and can be masked by turning up the radio a little, but if you don't like wind noise, think twice before buying one of these.

I'd also considered the clear 3M tape that is sold for protection against paint chips. I don't know how well this would conform to the compound curves on the Sonata hood, but knowing what I know now, I'd try this first before spending $60 on the hood deflector. Anyone else try anything to protect the paint on your hood? Anyone else finding the paint to chip easily on the front lip of the hood?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Matt I have used the Clear 3M tape and it works quite well.. You cant even tell its there unless you get up close or are running your hands along the edge and can feel it. When I lived in New York I also used it on the rocker panels and about 4 inches up the body to repel stones chips it worked great when it did get marked you just get out the wifes hair dryer heat it up and put a new piece on. At the time time I could only find 2" tape, if you could find 4" that would be great......Check your local paint shop maybe??

Tunez

Reply to
Tunez

Matt , I also tried draping my wife across the hood, she didnt seem to mind much in the Spring but in the Winter complained alot about the salt and sand in her teeth

Tunez

Reply to
Tunez