Horrible screech from front end HELP!

My wife told me Fri nite that there was a whistling noise coming from the car. It was late, so I decided to check on it Sat morn.

She wan't kidding, the damn thing screams when you open the hood. Everything is so covered you can see a damn thing. It sounds to me like the noise is coming from the one of the items connected to the belt.

The car, a H6, has only 13000 miles on it. Can a bearing be shot Is it an idler, if it has one? How can I tell?

The RPMs remain high after start-up. I suspect that a lot of HP is going into driving something. I'm afraid to drive it the 10 miles to the dealer as something may seize up. In the oid cars with multiple belts, if something seized up, that drive belt would break, and you could proceed unless it was the water pump.

Anybody else have a similar problem? Any ideas? I'm way under the warranty period. Would this be covered?

Al

Reply to
Al

Sounds like it would be covered under warranty - even if something simple. Normal belt wear would not be but I doubthey'd try to make you buy a belt even at this mileage. If you are afraid to drive it (tell them the pwr steeing pump could fail and you might wreck it) they can send a tow truck. Flat bed tow is best for AWD.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Al wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I get a similar screeching sound when my belt is loose. Maybe it's as simple as that. Push on the middle of the belt run on the longest strech. It should'nt moove more than 3/8 of an inch.

Reply to
Gilles Gour

Reply to
Edward Hayes