How many miles on YOUR Subaru?

87 Ford Taurus - 70K when head gaskets blew. Replaced and sold with over 100K (had a weird short issue I couldn't resolve)

Richard Chang wrote:

Reply to
Jim85CJ
2002 Outback 46k miles. Fla twice mountains to go sking in the winters . Best all around sport utility wagon. Mike in South jersey

Reply to
Michael R Kirschner

That's pretty much what I was looking for when I started this whole thing, just an idea of what the readers of this newsgroup have experienced with their Subarus. It's not scientific, but it's info from real people and that counts for something.

Thank you to everyone who responded....it's great to know there are so many high-mileage Subarus out there. I hope my Forester lasts is still going after 200K!!

Betsy

Reply to
Betsy
89 Toyota Corolla had 77000 miles after 12 years. Nothing was wrong with it mechanically at all. The biggest repair job was replacing the timing belt at 60K miles. I just got sick of manual windows and rust. The crappy tires kept going flat for some reason even after I bought new ones. So far no flats after 3 years with my Subie and much harder, agressive driving.
Reply to
Debra Co

1990 toyota corolla 217,000 miles still going strong. 2003 subaru forester 9,500 miles hoping to last a while. mikey.
Reply to
mikey

I blew a head gasket in my Ford and drove it well over 100 miles in that state! Surely a Subie can go at least two or three times that distance with a blown head gasket! :)

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Rob,

I can't speak to all the issues you mentioned, but would any of the difficulty in driving smoothly have anything to do with the fact it sounds like you've got the engine idling down the road? It's not SUPPOSED to have any torque

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Maybe so. But the other piece of the puzzlement is that Subaru, which I hope for the sake of my '04 Forester XT is a very reliable car, is not the only car on the market that will go long distances with relatively few--or no--mechanical problems. Most any Honda or Toyota, given decent care, will do so. The nearest Acura dealer recently had on display a first-generation Legend that had gone over 300K. Volvos purportedly run an average of 22 years in service (though, as owner of a Volvo, I find that statistic suspect). For that matter, my son-in-law has an old Chevy truck with

160,000+ miles and no major repair. I know people who swear by Oldsmobiles, or Buicks. So, I still don't really get the point of this survey. I'd be much more interested in which repairs costing over $100 (not routine maintenance, brake pad replacements, etc.) have been needed, and at what mileage.

HW

Reply to
Hal Whelply

Try higher octane gas. There might be light pinging, and the computer is retarding the spark, which kills the torque.

Reply to
name

Rick,

Of course I don't drive around at 1500 rpms, but there are times in first gear that it is below 1500 rpm (especially when the clutch chatters )and it doesn't like to accelerate. It just ain't very forgiving.

Take Care,

Rob

Reply to
Rob Munach

You may be correct about the computer. I have since noticed that the lack of torque does correspond with some pinging.

Take Care,

Rob

Reply to
Rob Munach

Currently driving a '92 SVX with 142k miles My wife drives a '00 Outback wagon with 63K (not one repair in 4 years other than one spark plug need replacement after the 30k service) My son drives a 95 Legacy wagon with over 140k miles (gave it to him after putting on the first 126k miles)

Reply to
worzacct

Rob,

Sorry if I misunderstood what you were telling us! I've known a LOT of people who DON'T keep their 4 cylinders wound up enough: they insist on shifting too soon, so they actually DO have the engine down around 1500 rpm in actual driving situations. Most of 'em are scared they'll blow things up if they run the engine "too fast."

And then there ARE engines that will pull from very low rpms: I had a Toyota truck that would actually take off from a level stop without much complaint in 3rd gear (don't ask how I learned that--someone musta been asleep at the wheel that day!) while I've yet to see a Subie that doesn't like some "encouragement" from the throttle to get going in first as you've noted! Live and learn, eh?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright
1997 Outback Wagon AWD: 107,000 miles 1993 Impreza Wagon 2WD: 82,000 miles

1997 Outback: Short block changed at 80,000 miles and transmission vibrating while turning to be fixed in the near future.

Claude

Reply to
cgilb

Could this be the well documented clutch shuuder/judder problem? Better have it looked at before the powertrain warranty runs out:

I didn't buy a tall wagon for its cornering abilities, but I did notice that the tail steps out during turns in the snow. I read somewhere someone described the handling as understeering into the turn and oversteering out of the turn. I guess this surprises drivers used to front-wheel drive and those used to rear-wheel drive.

-R.

Reply to
Richard Chang

news:Lo-dnUMB4qzvOL snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

years.....that is enough for me.

Same for me. G. Tarantino Switzerland (no Subaru yet)

Reply to
GT

'04 STi with 9,000 miles. I traded a '90 RHD subaru Legacy wagon with 200,000 mile on it that was used on a mail route.

I bought the STi in January and only drive it about once a week. I have no idea how I'm been averaging about 1000 miles a month! I ride my Honda ST1100 over 800 miles a month.

Curtis

BlueSTi "Scary-Fast"

Reply to
BlueSTi
2005 Forester 600 miles
Reply to
Rhesus Monkey
1986 GL - 223,000 miles 1990 Legacy - 161,000miles