How many miles are on your TJ?

2000 TJ Sport. 5-speed, Dana 44 with 31 inch tires. I just tripped 73k yesterday. Only problems so far:

Broken Oil filler cap - Replaced Light under hood went out - Replaced Gas gauge sometimes jumps to Empty, then back to where it should be

That's about it. Oil every 4k miles (Mobil Syn), Tires replaced at 40k (getting time for new ones), xfer case/axles/trans changed to syn fluid at 50k, new shocks and serpentine belt at 60k. It's been a pretty maintenance free vehicle for me. Just curious what others are getting mileage wise and how everything is holding up for them. I drive 70+ highway miles a day. Hopefully I will get many more trouble free years out of it yet. Should I look at replacing anything at this mileage? (Brakes, hoses, lines, O2's, starter, alternator, gas filter [is there one?))

Chad

Reply to
Chad

L.W.(ßill)

I have a 2k as well. She has a tad under 50k miles.

I got my Teej used and it had a bit of the warranty remaining. Afetr the warranty lapsed, I started getting problems, mainly with the cooling system. I believe that the previous owner did not treat the vehicle as nicely as I did. Anyway, I recently put in a new radiator. Everything was fien after that until I overheated on the way to work and found that the rear freeze plug went bad. Got that replaced and now I am seeing two coolant puddles under the Jeep every once in a while, actually, I see it about every other day. I have no idea now where it is leaking from.

I think that other than that, it has been relatively trouble free and that if the previous owner had not been running tap water through the coolant system, it would not be giving me these poblems.

I am just waiting until I can trade this one in on a new one. I'm hoping to find a good deal on a new one with a warranty since I am upside down in this one.

Anyway, happy Jeeping and I hope that your TJ keep ya runnin' for many more years.

Reply to
ScriptLizard
25,600 :-) '91 Waggy has done only 62K
Reply to
Dave Milne

200 TJ Sport 5-Speed

84k

Brakes, rotors, steering dampener, windshield wiper motor and one set of tires at 61k.

Reply to
Matt Osborn

'02 TJ Silly APEX edition the the dumb hood sticker. Had that removed upon purchase.

Not much gone wrong (echo:knock on wood:echo) Less than 3 weeks with it and at about 700km's my brake booster took a dive on me. Great thing for warrantees eh...but I was on my way to my first camping/wheeling trip.

Broke on the highway at rushhour and with only 15 minutes 'til the dealer closed. Oh, I was 100km from home.

Got in no prob and was very happy...except that the courtesy was a 98 Neon. got made fun of for a while with that one.

Had it in every 3 months so far getting oiled up and it's diaper changed.

Oh ya...she'll be 2 in April and she's only got 17000km on her. Put on 3k in the last month driving to my new job!

Just installed an AFE airflow system and am now getting about 18mpg, which I don't think is too bad.

Love her though!

Just wished I had saved up for another year and had a bigger downpayment AND picked up the Rubi....dam eh!

Reply to
SB

I have a 2000 TJ D44 with 31's bought in April of that year only 31,100 miles on it only problem is smashed o2 sensor wheeling

Reply to
WYTEKER51
98 TJ 50K 2.5 5 speed Soft top

3" suspension lift. 33 x 12.5's

New wheels at 40k, change oil (Mobil one every 5K )

Replaced Cat converter, muffler, brakes, battery, rotors, serpantine belt and the "all too well known" exhaust manifold bolt ... not manifold itself in my situation)

Replaced original fender flares for wider ones, new sterio, new carpet ... fixed that damn interior leak,,,,, 2" seat lift, replaced the zip-out plastic widows with fiberglass sliders, battery, high-lift jack. Crome mirrors to match new rims. One tune-up at 40K .... I know, ... it should have been done at 30.

Would like to change the front bumper (the goofy ends anyway)

This is my daily driver. It only goes "off road at Daytona Beach or an occassional romp through Ocala State forest in Florida.

When should I replace the trans / front oils?

I treat her like a baby. She looks and runs brand new. Thanks guys George P.S. If I continue my "baby-ing" how long should "she" last without major overhauls? What else should I be keeping an eye on? Clutch etc. (I drive 20 miles round trip everyday to and from work ... one or two stops (red-lights) on thhe way. Week-ends are ..... whatever presents itself.

Reply to
OU812

'97 TJ Sahara, Green with Spice Rag-Top, 30" wheels with 5th as full-sized spare. Purchased new. Cost: 20,050.00 delivered.

Currently, approx. 67K . My only ride.

At the 60K check - full service to everything mechanic and I could think of plus new sway bars, steering dampener, tires (kept best one for spare), brakes, rotors.

No leaks ever. Runs like a top. Small hole in top where branch fell through one winter past - duct taped. Stupid plastic fender end-caps taken off after purchase. All warning labels printed on visors etc. taken off with Goof Off. The tailpipes are rusty and a few scratches need some touch-up paint. Stock otherwise.

Biggest headache : Sometimes when I start the engine the tape deck goes into fastforward. No shit. Anybody know a fix? Also, as posted a couple days ago - ratty carpet to be pulled this weekend.

Hoping to talk the wifey into a Harley ( Springer maybe) this year and then those two will be my rides until retirement at least ( 2015 ).

Andrew

Reply to
reply
95K+ 98TJ w/too much junk on it to list. Ton of things have gone wrong, but how much due to wheeling, daily driving, the lift, hard ass wheeling, the other lift, the cage, the roll, etc. and how much to just "being a Jeep" I dont know.

Reply to
jbjeep
99 Sahara (lemon law replacement of my 97), somewhere abouts 73,000...

Leaking windshield seal - replaced early on. Took 2 trips to the dealer before the understood what I mean by "leaking windshield seal". I had to order them to hose down the windshield then make a turn and notice the water slosh out.

Leaking exhaust manifold... This they understood. I drove in telling them it sounds like an air compressor. No questions asked.

I had the clutch self-destruct at about 15k... fixed under warranty. Took 3 tries before the got the shifter back in alignment (different dealer from above)... but I think the xfer case is not in alignment - I've never been able to get it into 4L (not that I had much need.. but still)

Tires somewhere over 50k... expecting brakes sometime soon - still the originals.

I think the steering stabilizer is leaking, and did find some odd oil spots on the garage floor last week.

Other than that...just normal maintenance stuff. I've actually been very happy with it.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Vitous

'97 TJ Sport 4cyl

175,000Km or well over 100,000 Miles , in 6 Nova Scotia and 1 Newfoundland winter. Lots of salt and icy roads.

Like seemingly half the cars here in Newfoundland, I have 4 studded snow tires, and the special rubberized winter wipers.

Had a dropped valve at about 140,000km, so I replaced the soft parts in the engine since the head was off.

3 new Exhaust Manifolds & a Catalytic Converter, all replaced under warranty. Each manifold came with, if i remember correctly, another 80000km warranty. They usually last about 40000km, although the current one is going for a record.

I replaced the serpentine belt twice.

The driver door again can be opened only from the outside again. Not so good in the winter.

It's working fine otherwise.

Reply to
Creeper
1998 Sahara Edition: 68000 miles, 2 inch lift, 32.11.5 BFGs, a few electrical "projects", transmission mount, u-joints (rear DS), weird coolant leak, cant isolate it...needs a new fuel level sending unit (*big rock slam*, gauge always reads low, which is not bad), time to do the motor mounts and all suspension bushing (I drive it like a Jeep, on and off road), and I think everyone's underhood light goes out, mine b/c of the hood vibrating at 70 miles an hour for 60 miles a day, I don't bother to replace it anymore...and I have the magical and mystical exhaust crack, shopping for headers as we speak.

Change oil every 3k miles, Mobil one synthetic, but used to use Quaker state..changing diff/t-case/tranny fluids for 2nd time in next few weeks.

Reply to
Joseph P

My TJ is a 1997 Sahara; 5-speed, Dana 44. I got it about a year and a half ago with 35,000 miles on it. I've gotten it up to 51,000 now. It already had a ProComp Stage II (4" shortarm) lift on it and 33" tires when I got it.

Problems I've had to fix so far: - Cracked exhaust manifold - Broken oil filler cap (huh!) - Dead alternator and battery - Replaced slightly cracking serpentine belt (probably still had some time left there, but I needed to replace it anyway with a longer one for my york OBA setup) - Tore LCA front axle mount off (stupid stiff ProComp arms!...replaced w/Tera arms front and rear) - A few other things, but they are purely attributable to trail damage ;-) - Oh yeah, those stupid plastic sidesteps aren't very good rocker protection! ;-) lol

Running Mobil1 Synth in it, changed every 3,000 miles. Runs great. Only problems I've had recently have been solely due to wear on the suspension components; things that have nothing to do with the reliability of the Jeep in its original form. I love my jeep. Gas mileage sucks, (~13 to 14 MPG at best), but I wouldn't trade it for a thing.

Reply to
Bob

I have 2001 TJ Renegade (Sahara in USA) with 38k kms on the clock, Auto, Dana 44 with BFG ATs (225/70/16). My first thing is to move to bigger tyres/higher clearance soonest I can manage. I bought it used six months ago, so don't know what the previous owner has had replaced, but I have had following done all under warranty with no cost to me.

1) Rear seal replaced for the xfer case (oil seeping around rear drive shaft) 2) Light under hood, non functional 3) Front rotors just resurfaced due to slight pulsation in the brake pedal 4) Front drive shaft being replaced tomorrow as the CV joint is worn out on the original one and is giving some driveline vibration and noise at low speeds (can't even hear my radio at high speeds, so can't tell about driveline noise)!

Would I change my TJ and buy something non-Wrangler, hell no. I like how it looks and drives. So far it has been maintained by the dealer as it is under warranty. Service from the dealer has been great, last time I had the service done I was given a brandnew Peugot with less than 700 kms on the clock to drive for the day. However, going forward I'll doing most of the stuff that I can manage myself (as soon as I can get my hands on the factory manual in New Zealand).

Cheers, TW

Reply to
TW

Why did you replace the sway bars?

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Wow...happy with that much done to it.... Or was all that done to the lemon

97? At what point did you pursue the lemon-law and what did it take for the dealership to give-in?

sb

Reply to
SB

'99 TJ Sahara at around 60,700. I bought it just over 50k.

I've had the following done: New radiator Brake leak Full reocmmended 60k mile stuff Replaced the stereo (but that's an upgrade)

Not a great track record, but could be a lot worse...

Reply to
Brett D.
04 Rubi no pics yet - 500 miles CJ sold
Reply to
Arvin

Hey Chad,

Mine is a '99 TJ Sahara with 58,000 miles on it. Bought it new in Sept., '98. No horrendous problems so far. I broke the right front stabilizer bar on a rock or somethin' a couple of years ago, so I replaced both of them. On another occasion I got a little too intimate with a couple of trees 'cause of some really loose dirt/gravel and ended up replacing the left front fender flare, front bumper and rear bumper. It's now about 10,000 miles into its second set of tires, GY GS-As, and it's on its second battery.

About the only things I'd like to change about it is those really egregious plastic end caps on the bumpers, and maybe replace the stock muffler with a FlowMaster.

This is my primary ride, so I try to take pretty good care of it; oil change every 3K, new air filter every other oil change, do a tune-up and replace the fluids/grease in all the boxes about every 30K (coming up real soon now), change the coolant every fall, etc.

Scotty '99 TJ 4.0L Sahara '99 XJ 4.0L Sport (my son the Poor College Kid's car) '03 BMW Z4, the wife's ride

Reply to
Scotty