How to disable day-time running lights?

Reply to
Marko

Totally agree. My neighbor had a head-on collision with both cars doing about 40mph. His graphic description of the car folding up around him followed by the airbags going off and saving his life was enough to convince me. He walked away, btw.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Jim Stewart wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@omsoft.com:

FWIW the original airbags deployed with a lot of force as they were designed for drivers who weren't wearing seatbelts and were known to cause injuries/death (mostly children). Any vehicle with airbags made since 1997 has the newer revised airbags that don't deploy with as much force. Stats since airbags mandated 15,000 lives saved but 242 killed.

More info here:

Fuzzy Logic

A coworker of mine was in an accident about 3 years ago. He reached over to brace his fiancé in the crash when the air bag went off and hit him on the left side of his head. The impact of the airbag destroyed his left ear and inner ear disrupting his equilibrium. It took him 8 months to learn how to walk again and he only has hearing in the right ear. I don't think either of them were wearing seatbelts either.

My wife and I survived a rollover accident in a Jeep Grand Cherokee due to seatbelts. The vehicle rotated on all 3 axes so I don't think I came into contact with the airbag. I was knocked out so I don't know all the details and sometime during the accident my glasses came off. I did have powder burns on my wrists from the airbag.

If you are wearing a seatbelt will you come into contact with the airbag? I wear glasses and I am concerned about being hit in the face with the airbag.

Reply to
Henry Paul

I wear glasses (and my seatbelt) and was in a 60mph frontal offset crash. The left front of my car (the one before my WRX, which was a '01 VW GTI) hit the back right of a car illegally parked at night without hazard lights in the high speed lane of an 8 lane highway (Rt 128 near Boston). I did not see the vehicle I hit and had no warning time. This was the last night of 2001.

Needless to say, the front airbags deployed. I had no idea what happened other than I had just hit something very hard. Because it was nighttime I couldn't see as my car spun 2.5 times. The car was equipped with side-impact and window curtain airbags as well, but they correctly did not deploy. If my car had been collected by another as I was spinning, I believe the side bags would have popped then. I was extremely lucky as were the vehicles in the other lanes.

End result - I walked away with a scrape the size of a postage stamp on my face from the airbag and a sore neck for about 2 days. My glasses were fine - they even stayed on my face - though I did have to adjust them. The driver of the parked car did receive severe injuries but they were not life threatening.

I'll never own a car without airbags again. I do wish the WRX had seat and window side airbags.

I am also no longer doubting the crash worthiness of a properly engineered small car. For me, that means VW/Audi/Subaru. My VW was totaled in a financial sense, but it still looked like a car and the passenger compartment was completely intact. If I had passengers I believe they would also have been mostly ok. No one rides in my car without a seatbelt. The front left wheel was torn off and the whole front left engine compartment (my corner of the car!) was a lot smaller than it used to be. The early 90s Dodge Spirit I hit was not recognizable as a car. If there were people in any of the seats other than the drivers', they would have been killed because of the intrusion of steel and glass into the passenger compartment. The car almost folded in half.

- Byron

Reply to
Byron

My wife and I walked away also. My wife had a bruise on the top of her foot and I had lacerations from flying glass I guess. All but 2 of the windows were crushed or blown out. My jeans and shirt were torn up. I was sent to the hospital for X-rays, but all I had were strained muscles from my head being tossed about and my lap was sore from dangling from the seatbelt. I found my glasses and cell phone about 20 feet from the wreck both with minor scratches, but in good working condition.

Reply to
Henry Paul

And perhaps if he didn't have an air bag he would have been a bit more careful about driving head on into concrete barriers?

I would settle for a metal spike in the middle of the steering wheel as long as everyone else has one.

Reply to
nospam

This is a ridiculous comment and assumes that we all are perfect and never make mistakes. The proof that you are fallible and Darwin is right is in your 'metal spike' statement. John

Reply to
John A.

Agreed. I did not see anywhere how he drove into the barrier on purpose. I have seen many people here end up head first into the barrier from being cut off by some crazy person who clips their car in the process.

The barrier is better than the oncoming lane on the other side of it.

Reply to
Henry Paul

So would these 'crazy persons' be quite so crazy if they had a spike in the middle of their steering wheel?

Reply to
nospam

If they were drunk or high? They probably would use the spike to help them open a beer.

When that 'crazy person' then clips the car of an innocent and the spike kills a child, what would you say then?

Reply to
Byron

Actually, I don't think it would matter one bit. Psycho drivers here will be psycho to the grave.

Reply to
Henry Paul