Impreza STI

I have an Impreza STI RA Version Ltd. Genuine 35,000 miles reg 2000. All was well until travelling home last Friday, I noticed a slight rattling sound on light acceleration, this grew louder and lasted longer during my journey. It became very loud and raucous, the engine eventually gave up and would not restart. Prior to stopping it was still running very well (although I was nursing it home). When cool the engine runs very smoothly, but with the dreadfully loud knocking / rattling noise still present. Any ideas anyone please??

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen

"Stephen" wrote in news:XTI%d.1578$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net:

Don't start it again. Have it towed to the nearest Subaru dealer. Whatever the problem is, it's very bad.

Reply to
JJ

H can't he said it wont restart!!

;o)

Ross

What was the sound like was it metallic or like exploding gases or to parts of metal colliding? Is the noise related to engine RPM? where in the engine bay is it comming from if you can tell? Is the check engine light comming on?

Ross