In the shop this week

The shop has been boring, no major issues until this last week so I thought I's tell you of a couple we recently got in.

A young lady had a major fluids changed in a town about 150 miles away, in a quick lube place. She drove to to our shop and checked in with a burning oil smell. The center diff dip-stick was never inserted properly, almost all the oil was coating the bottom of the car, and the center diff is noisy. This may be a lawsuit as the owner and the shop are still arguing.

A newer turbo outback came in running poorly, the turbo is shot and may have took the engine out also- the warranty records show the turbo replaced 19 march 2009. The warranty repair has a 12 month unlimited mile warranty. The check in date is March 18 2010. (I feel that Subaru would have still honored the warranty due to his accurate oil change records and dealer support)

Now the one that bothers me: A 3.0 legacy sedan came in with a warranty alignment- for rt rear tire wear. the car had 90,000 miles. The wear on the tires were not the cause of alignment, but hard acceleration. the alignment specs proved my suspicion- I noticed the rear wheel bearings were noisy, (Think b-17 in flight) and against Subaru policy I recommended we repair them (Warrantied to 100,000). We did, and sent the car out sounding much better. She will be back for her new warranty tires this week, even tho there is no evidence that the car caused it, and she is 60,000 miles out of that warranty. Lets see if any of us can get that kind of help....

Reply to
StephenH

The rear tires were worn and bearings were bad- sounds like the bearings caused the wear . Sometimes it's better to keep customers happy-- look at the Toyota fiasco!!!'

specs proved my suspicion- I noticed the

Reply to
Big Jim

Good to see you posting again. Been on the dead side around here for too long.

Reply to
johninky

no, the bearings get noisy, but there is no movement in them. The even wear flat across the tire says acceleration (it is a 3.0) I just feel the alignment was acceptable, but the tires worn at 90 K should have been denied. I think this person "Knows someone" in the company

Reply to
StephenH

Subie dealers around here are still the way Toy dealers used to be until a few years ago...owned by families that stake their name on their rep. They haven't yet succumbed to the Big Dealer buyouts and still want to provide good customer service. All the Toy dealers now are owned by larger retailers; one still is a 'family run' dealership, but from out of town and the friendliness is gone since the Bean Counters control the operation. The other Toy dealer in the area...UGH! I was working there when it was still a friendly family owned business, and left when it became what appeared to be a *"FAMILY"* owned business...

But the Soob dealers are still cool around here and give you a break, let you pick their brains and give decent discounts on parts. I'm sad to see what's happeneing with the Toy dealers but glad to see one company has clung to what made their name in the first place.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Really. 90K is a bit for a tire. I had ONE set of OEM Bridgestones on a Corolla that made it to 110, and they still had good tread, but when they put it on a lift I saw one of the treads was separating from the casing!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hmmm, must be an 05+ 3.0, my '03 3.0 doesn't have enough extra oomph to influence tire wear.

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

that's what I was thinking about my wife's 03 OBW. maybe some kinda spinning out from a gravel/dirt drive onto a paved road? But wouldn't the center diff just send some power up front? I dunno.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan