bike carrier for 2003 OBS

After 7 years of owning this car, I'm finally deciding to put a couple of bike carriers on the roof rack instead of filling up the interior of the car with an exploded bike or two.

- i dusted off my factory crossbars and put them on. What are the lock cores for on the ends of the bars? What key operates them? There's nothing in the manual about them.

- stupid torx tool got rounded the last time I put them on 7 years ago. It didn't magically restore itself while sitting in the box, so I can't really tighten the bolts very much. I'm gonna replace the bolts with something more conventional.

- Bought a couple of Yakima Forklifts. But they are too long to lift the tailgate. I'm gonna have to put them on backwards. Anybody figure out a trick, or is this car really too short for this? (roof rails are just too far back on the car ...)

Any other tips I should know?

Chicobiker

Reply to
Chicobiker

I don't know about bicycles, but I used a Yakima rack to carry 2 (ultralight) canoes on my '02 WRX wagon. Pretty much the same roof rack arrangement as your OBS, I think. I didn't use the OEM cross bars, but bought "towers" that fit the Subaru rails, and used Yakima cross bars. I use the same setup on my '99 Forry these days. Probably your best bet to quickly get the system sorted out will be to hit Yakima's web site; seems like they had a decent "configurator" application on-line. Sometimes you can find Yakima hardware used on craigslist, FWIW.

ByeBye! S.