Infamous "Cylinder Misfire" problem: '96 2.5L Outback

Hi, all, Our '96 OB (manufactured March of '96) keeps having the check engine light come on, and the code read indicates cylinder misfires in #3 and #4. This seems to happen shortly after start of a drive on a cold engine. We get a half-mile down the road, and the light starts blinking.I Googled, and if the number of previous posts to this newsgroup about this same problem are any indicator, this is a pretty common problem. But...I was unable to see any obvious solutions. I have replaced the plug wires and the fuel filter recently. The plugs looked fine when last I checked. So I have a couple of questions that I hope you can help me out with:

  1. How does Subaru number their cylinders? I assume that the drivers-side front cylinder is #1, but what's the scheme after that?
  2. What is the nature of how the computer senses cylinder misfires? It has to be something that has per-cylinder capability (e.g. not the O2 sensor), but what is it? Knowing what is being sensed might narrow the range of possible culprits.
  3. Is there a difference in indicators between one that flashes a few times then goes steady versus one that flashes for quite awhile before going steady?
  4. For those of you who have had this problem and fixed it, what turned out to be the problem?

Any help is appreciated!

Going Crazy,

George Reiswig Song of the River Music

Reply to