Ist oil change DONE!!

Thanks Guys !!

It wasn't as bad as I've read it could be, since the filter came off fairly easy, with a bottom cup tool, but things I read on the forum, Helped a Lot, especially for a mentally and physically dinged up guy like me, coming from an 86' Chevy. I was worried I might get stuck or screw something up and have to get it towed to a garage, which really would have dented my ego, and I thought about getting it done, But I LOVE a challenge, even though it takes me forever to get things don now, and I pay a heavy price with fatigue and pain, and usually my butt is dragging the ground, long before I get all done, clean everything and put it away, but I feel I conquered another Everest.

Oil pain bolt was pretty tough, and the gasket was stuck from the paint, which I read here, or may have forgot it, and it was hard reading the pointer on my torque wrench in the position I was in. It helped a lot that the filter was high, and the drain plug was low the way people have to park around here, on a narrow 2 lane street with 2 wheels on the pavement. Having to use the jack for the first time to lift the body higher, to see where the filter had to go, because I couldn't feel it with the tool and extension. I didn't appreciate the oil pouring down the tools and my hands , and had to find the location to put the jack, and it wasn't where I thought it should be in the manual, and I'm gona have to mark the ridges with white paint to make it easier.

VF

Reply to
houndman

I know well the feeling of starting a job and fearing that my physical limitations may prevent me from finishing it and having to have someone else complete it (for wasted time and big $$$ besides the ego bruising). Glad to hear you followed it through. Some people tighten those damn drain plugs as if they were holding up the whole car. Good idea to mark the jack position for future reference. Best of luck with future jobs.

Reply to
suburboturbo

thanks for the reply.

Guess you mean the marks for locating the jack on the rocker. Thought you meant for height when oil changing.

I have a buddy who used to be an aircraft inspector and he uses the term " Aircrafty" when things are done to reduce or avoid mistakes or failures, like the right and left hand lug nuts that Chrys used to have different on each side of the car, so the lugs would tighten from the direction of tire rotation if loose. He questioned why the drain plugs would be so tight, and make sure of the threads. the R&L's on C cars used to make my dad buggy. Didn't help putting low miles on an old car made the lugs hard to get off or installed with an impact wrench.

I need to mark my pointer gauge on my torq wrench since the angle made it hard to see.

Hearing that even the dealer can tighten things too tight made me not want to go there, even though I wasn't getting to change it. It will be easy from now on.

VF

Reply to
houndman

Hi,

A former neighbor, retired mechanic, had a different term. He called it "dungeoneering" when engineers were so isolated from the real world they spent the company's R&D money solving non-existent problems. I've often wondered why the left hand wheels on Fords, Chevies and most other makes didn't fall off by the millions...

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

don't know, but only time I had loose lugs they got looser as I drove. They were acorn type that the threads were protected from the weather, so maybe easier to rotate not being dirty or corroded.

Reply to
houndman