It's official, Manual Transmissions are making a comeback!!!

Yeah, I'll probably take up golf when I'm too feeble for real sports too. And when I am too weak to peddle a bike I'll get a Harley or something. Hey can anybody tell me where I can get an automatic beer can opener. It's tiring to walk all the way to the fridge, pull open the door, by hand!, reach all the way in an heave a can out, after that I'm too beat to pop that confusing metal thingy up, and sometimes they break off and I have to throw the whole can away and repeat the fridge door thing all over again, my back can hardly take it anymore.

H,

Opinionated as always, thankfully, always right!

You're someone who clearly doesn't have the driving skills required to operate a manual gearbox in motor vehicle.

I'm pleased you drive an automatic, most others are grateful too.

snipped-for-privacy@backpacker.com wrote:

Reply to
Tony Burns

So far all he's said indicates a big NO! I think anyone who knows how, and drives both, will side with you on the stick. I know I sure do... and I'll put SoCal traffic up against NJ any day when it comes to giving the clutch foot a workout. But I'll take that over the "Microsoft" feel of any of today's computerized autos I've driven where you never know what it's gonna do next.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

And, as noted recently on the news, did!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

I can buy that.

I occasionally go to Cape Cod in the summer, and the rotary at the base can be a real drag. I'm usually in my Jeep, which is geared so low that it rolls along a 1-2 MPH while idling with the clutch engaged, but clutching still gets old.

I can't believe that people deal with that on a daily basis, and I live in suburbia (CT), which isn't exactly less-populous. While we don't have NYC and Boston type traffic, clutching isn't THAT difficult in typical New Haven or Hartford rush hour stuff.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

Who's trolling?

YOU started this thread, and we commented on it, with me posting my reasons why I like manuals. That's a troll?

Do you "get" Usenet? It's a two way medium.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

Some people on usenet dont seem to get that you will agree and disagree with other people.

Reply to
jabario

Right!

Just 'cause you and I don't buy the same transmissions dosen't mean we can't respectfully disagree. That's what the USA is all about! We BOTH can get what we want.

Maybe it's because we're from the East Coast and have been party to Yankee/Met/Red Sox, Knick/Net/Celtics, Rangers/Islanders/Devils/Bruins, Giants/Jets/Patriots conversations?

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

I'm sure the mfgrs will be happy to provide manuals, since they're a lot less expensive to make than autos. Plus all the companies are world-wide now and they like manuals in Europe and Japan.

We got a Geo with manual only because we needed a cheap reliable car fast. And I got good exercise clutching my '59 Chev back when. But I wouldn't touch one on something SUV sized.

Reply to
Paul Knudsen

Amen Bro. Been there, done that. And without A.C.!

Reply to
Paul Knudsen

I used to drive Auto, but learnt to drive manual because a friend lent me their car for few months. Since then, never looked back. Its much more enjoyable to drive, and keeps you awake. But i have to admit, as i get older, i probably will switch back to Auto.

Kory

Reply to
KORy

Don't bet on it. I'm 44 and still prefer a manual. Same with my wife, and she'll soon be 54!

And speaking of Jersey traffic with a clutch, try it with a Saab! Your left leg will get bigger from the exercise! ;-)

Reply to
Tom Reingold

Another vote for your side: I'm also 54, and hate the automatic in the one car I've ever owned with one, as well as all of 'em I've ever driven (plenty of makes and models, so I think my feelings are moderately well founded.) My father, 77, still drives a stick, my grandfather was still driving one until he died at 84, and so do MANY of the "old timers" I know who have a choice.

And for those who worry that traffic's a clutch killer, I finally had to replace the clutch in my Subie that spends two to four hours a day in bumper to bumper traffic. At 310k miles! Most people I've talked to recently who've replaced clutches have gotten 150k or more... you can drive 'em in traffic without killing 'em.

Now for all you guys from New Jersey--what's so special about your traffic? I'm pretty sure we've got more cars in SoCal than you've got people in your whole State, it seems they're all out on the freeways

24/7, yet I don't see drivers get out of their cars with grossly enlarged left legs. Not even the big rig drivers.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Southern California? I'll get out of the way. You're right: we Jerzoids can't compete with you for bad traffic! :-D

Reply to
Tom Reingold

I dont know. Raritan toll plaza? Turnpike 9 South to 8? When I visited Orange County and LA I found than once rush hour passed driving was no problem.

Reply to
jabario

Agreed, as long as those not familiar w/ SoCal "rush hour" realize it goes from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays, 7 a.m. to about 9 p.m. on Saturdays, and 9 a.m. to midnight on Sundays! :D

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

I'm coming into the middle of this one, but I drive my 2002 WRX in New Jersey and NYC traffic every day. I'm 44 and have owned nothing but stick shifts since 1990. I don't see the big deal about driving a stick in traffic. It's kind of fun and allows for more control. The clutches don't seem to mind either. I've never put much over 100k on any car (too many cool cars and life is too short), but I've never burned out a clutch.

My cars included:

1990 Honda CRX si (5speed) 1994 Honda Passport EX (5 speed) - it took months to find a stick shift Passport! 1999 Mustang GT (35th Anniversary Edition) (5 speed) 2002 Subaru WRX (5 speed)

Reply to
Alan B Antill Jr

I wonder if the advent of CVT won't make both manuals and automatics obsolete? CVTs are mechanically as simple as manuals, and offer much more efficient engine operating ranges than either manuals or autos. And add on top those advantages the fact it would be much smoother.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

How long is it since Subaru stopped making CVT cars? 15 years?

Reply to
Bruce Hoult

I agree the CVT idea is a good one, but have read several sources that claim they don't lend themselves well to higher power inputs in real life--even the low powered Justy had its problems. Anyone?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright