It's official, Manual Transmissions are making a comeback!!!

Audi uses them in AWD cars, with much more horsepower than a Justy. I don't know if they've ever raced with it.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

Yeah, but they're making a comeback, Honda uses them in their hybrids nowadays. Like a lot of things, what was not practical a few years ago are now practical with the advent of cheaper, faster computer technology.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

I thought the old generation self destructed because of weak belts. The newer ones use chains that hold up better.

-John

Reply to
Generic

Been driving a stick for years and still don't want to switch. I feel more secure and can actually feel the road especially on snow in winter. It's probably the next thing for safety besides AWD. Also, MT is cheaper (C$1000), more control for power (true racing cars usually comes with MT), saves gas (some might say AT saves more because of the gear ratio), more stable when turning corner by shifting down, saves brake by engine braking (my subie has 100k and the pad is still good but be carefull your follower might bump you as your brake light not on, twice on me), Start and go right away and don't have to shift to D or accidentally shift to R...ouch..... Only problem is my left leg hurts during bumper to bumper traffic.

Reply to
Poster

Reply to
Edward Hayes

The 1000 dollars saved when buying a MT should be put in a saving

While current AT's are extremely reliable, IF they fail or need major overhaul 1000 dollars won't even touch it!

Just remember that on a Subaru there are many more differences in the AWD system than the tranny.

Subaru automatics run as front wheel drive cars most of the time, as the rear drive is electronic. The car can be made a FWD car by inserting a missing fuse. Manual shift Subies are AWD all of the time, which can make them a bit more fun to toss around on wet and sandy roads, and in performance driving situations.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

Someone is misinformed as according to Subaru of America and Subaru of Australia my 2000 Forester AT has a transfercase ratio of 60 %/40% front to rear and is always active. The default ratio for the MT is

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Do you have a FWD fuse?

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

Reply to
Edward Hayes

The FWD fuse is only available on certain models. The automatic WRX, for example, can *not* be made into pure front-wheel drive. This is direct from my dealer, who asked their master Subaru mechanics while I was on the phone with them.

Reply to
k. ote

Perhaps they have changed the newer WRXes - otherwise check;

Edward Hayes wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

My question to the dealer was in regards to a friend's 2002 WRX auto. I drove him in once for a service visit and they tried the fuse avenue to make it front-wheel drive as a diagnostic tool. I was surprised at the time as it was the first time I'd seen the fuse. It didn't work. The WRX automatic can *not* be made into a front-wheel drive, it never could be; so says my dealer's master Subaru mechanics and direct personal experience.

Other Subarus could be, and it was recommended in the manuals of other vehicles that the fuse be used when running on a donut or using chains. NOT the WRX though.

So unless you've actually seen one doing it (which means they've changed things without telling their certified mechanics about it in newer WRX autos) up on a hoist with the front wheels spinning independently of the rear wheels, trust me: it can't be done.

Reply to
k. ote