Legacy lacks powewr on hill climb

My 92 Legacy (Liberty here in Aus) runs fine until it comes to a prolonged hill climb. It loses power gradually and will eventually stall. After a few minutes it will restart and repeat the process if more hill climbing is involved. I have recently replaced the fuel filter. Any ideas?

Reply to
Grumby

Sounds like fuel deleivery problems. Does it do this reguardless of how full the gas tank is? If it does it only when tank is below 1/2 full then maybe the fuel pump? another thought is low fuel pressure caused by the pressure regulator or pump. ed

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Consider the catalytic Converter being pulled?

Reply to
John Gibson

Dad had a Chevy van do this. It turned out to be a weak fuel hose. Under heavy load, it would suck closed, or nearly so.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

Could be the evaporative loss (charcoal) canister. to make sure it's a fuel starvation problem try the same climb with the fuel filler cap loosened. TG

Reply to
TG