Legacy pulling to one side

I have a 1999 Legacy AWD. After driving about 20 miles it starts to pull to the drivers side. There are no noises that I can hear. Any suggestions please?

Reply to
Richard

My '05 Outback had the same problem after about 500 miles! Took it to the dealer, wheel alignment took care of it.

Reply to
LB

Check tyre pressures and try a wheel alignment first.

I also had a front wheel drive car that had a similar problem and i had to replace the front tyres.

Reply to
Subie25l

I have had that problem with my 95 Legacy and after having it aligned for $150+ it pulled to the side just the same. New tires (rather inexpensive Hankooks) fixed it.

My current Legacy (98 GT Wagon) slightly pulls to the right side again - after replacing the worn Potenza RE 910 set with new Kumho HP4 716,

Here's the diagnostic method as on the tirerack site:

Step 1

Action to be Taken

  Rotate the two front tires from side-to-side.

Results

  1. If the vehicle pulls in the opposite direction, the defective tire is one of the front tires. (GO TO STEP 2)

  2. If the vehicle pulls in the same direction the problem is either with one of the rear tires or is not a tire-related problem. (GO TO STEP 3)

Step 2

Action to be Taken

  Rotate the front tire on the side of the car that is in the direction of the pull, to the rear of the car.

Results

  1. If the pull no longer exists or diminishes greatly, the tire that was moved to the rear of the car is the defective tire.

  2. If the pulling does not change, the defective tire is isolated to the front tire that was not moved in Step 2.

Step 3

Action to be Taken

  Rotate the two rear tires from side to side.

Results

  1. If the vehicle pulls in the opposite direction, the defective tire is one of the rear tires. (GO TO STEP 4)

  2. If the pulling tire does not change, the problem is not tire related. The car should be checked for possible misalignment or suspension wear.

Step 4

Action to be Taken

  Rotate the rear tire on the side of the car that is in the direction of the pull to the front of the car.

Results

  1. If the vehicle pull becomes more severe, the defective tire is isolated to the tire that was rotated to the front of the car.

  2. If the pulling does not change, the defective tire is isolated to the rear tire that was not rotated.
Reply to
Florian Feuser /FFF/