Let the Tweaking Begin

checked all the fluids in my new 07' 2.5i 5M Impreza wagon. Have to learn all this new fangled stuff, so I can drive the dammed car.

Evened and lowered the tire pressures to factory specs, and ran the motor. Hear a faint knock from the front of the motor. Sounds like around the idler pulley for the alternator belt. Sounds harmless, but will want to know what it is. Motor has a little shake, and think they say the Boxers Do That. Gona have to convince me. They Say 4's aren't as smooth as 6's or 8's, even a close mechanic friend, but I got my

4's smooth. He was a 4cyl man, and I amazed him.

VF

Reply to
houndman

Modern straight 4s have an xtra shaft to balance out a 'range' of harmonics. Boxer engines do not have that range of vibrations so don't get a balance shaft. But there is still detonation going on corner-to-corner and my WRX has a 'lumpy idle'. The wife's H6 is GLASS smooth though. When I get up away from idle though there seems to be no noticeable vibration.

Seems a lot of folks like to run about 5% (1-2lbs.) over the 'door' tire pressure for better handling. Plus, often the pressure will be low when I remember to check it so it kinda evens out I guess. Another 5% on top of that if you travel loaded with gear or go to the track is good idea.

Be careful letting jus anyone change or add fluids. Folks have reported horror stories concerning confuion between diffs and trannies! Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

The 4's didn't have the balance shafts. Just want to make sure it is a design thing, not something fixable.

I was Only going to let someone Check the fluids. The rear at least, since it has plugs, and I didn't want to get under the car any time soon. Found most of them I think. Windshield washer resivoir looks small.

I'll have to play with the tire pressures. Comfort is as important as handling at this point.

VF

Reply to
houndman