Liberty fuel gauge trouble

My son has a 1991 Subaru Liberty Station Wagon (Australia) and the fuel guage is acting up. It suddenly drops to empty after the half way mark. The servicing agent says it is the sensor in the tank that needs replacing. My son can't afford to have it replaced. Can anybody tell me if it is a very difficult task to do diy? Is there any chance the sensor unit may be fixable with some of his Dad's experience with that sort of thing in his own cars as a youth? Or else is it very difficult to piull it out and maybe replace it with a 2nd hand unit? Cheers, Pete

Reply to
pmg

"" wrote: > My son has a 1991 Subaru Liberty Station Wagon (Australia) and > the fuel > guage is acting up. It suddenly drops to empty after the half > way mark. > The servicing agent says it is the sensor in the tank that > needs > replacing. My son can't afford to have it replaced. Can > anybody tell me > if it is a very difficult task to do diy? Is there any chance > the sensor > unit may be fixable with some of his Dad's experience with > that sort of > thing in his own cars as a youth? Or else is it very difficult > to piull > it out and maybe replace it with a 2nd hand unit? > Cheers, Pete

I had a similar problem with my 95 impreza, gage was eratic, sometimes it registered correctly, sometimes it fell from half to empty in a few miles. Rather than pay the $300US for a fix, I used the trip odometer and filled it up every 250 miles. It usually still had 4 or 5 gallons, but thats better than running out.

Reply to
Bredehoft