Looks like it is time to let go of my 97 legacy wagon

Treated me okay but developed minor 'bugs' like the rear windshield wiper m otor going out, third break light out, persnickety hood and back latch and the gas cap lock broken (always unlocked). I also think it is burning oil in the valves as if I take it on the highway for a bit you can see smoke c oming out from under the hood when stopped. I actually got pulled over la st week(late night) for my third brake light not working (I had no idea it was even out) and when the cop put his flashlight in my car he asked if my car was smoking as some started (lightly) coming through the vents. I just said "huh" instead of a quicker wit reply like "it only chews tobacco".

I see some low mileage (under 20,000) 2012 Outback 2.5i premiums going for $21,500 - $22,000. Used foresters seem to be harder to find.

Not sure if I will donate my car to charity, depends what the dealer offers . I would be surprised to get more than $500 - $700(a little under 140,000 miles) as it also has some rust.

Oh well, a few extra strength Excedrin and I'll be good to go to the dealer ship. I can take that given it happens every 16 years (my 97 was bought in early Decemmber '97 with around 8,000 miles on it).

Reply to
Duh_OZ

Sounds like oil leaking out. I just got my 98 last October with 101k, fresh timing belt, no rust, for dealer price of $5 k. Your biggest problem might be rust.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I'd check for oil leaks from the cam/rocker covers for the smoke problem. Might be a very simple and cheap fix. Latches usually just need cleaning and lubrication

Reply to
clare