looks like my 2002 accent is a total lemon

I ve had nothing but problems with my 2002 accent, it has only 60k miles and the timing belt broke, the power steering tube broke, the rotor went and now the wiper motors are dying. anyone had similar problems?

Reply to
joe

Did you buy the car new? How many miles did the engine have when the timing belt broke? Where did the rotor go? Wiper motors?? Most cars have only one motor. Seems like at least some of these should be covered under warranty.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Reply to
joe

Timing belt should be changed 60K miles, Rotor ? do you do alot of stop & go driving-- rotors do wearout

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

I've got 112,000 miles on my '02 with only having to replace the right side headlamp, an at home brake job, replaced the timing belt and fuel filter. As a result I've no complaints.

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

This is the first I've ever heard of an Accent timing belt breaking before 60K miles.

Reply to
Screwtape III

nope, mine has been pretty good..lets see

2002 Accent, basic model, no A/C or frills Currently at 127,000 miles Timing belt was changed around 90,000, I forgot about it, I am lucky it didn't break Original tires went 40,000, will need new ones VERY soon. Front brakes at 90,000 I had a problem with rear brakes sticking to the drums when parking brake was left set for a few days, I removed the brake dust and put it back together, no parts changed since they looked like new, the sticking is much better so far. Oil dipstick tube broke around 100,000 miles..annoying oil leak, but cheap. Drivers side floor rug has a hole, floor is fine, just the rug under the pedal. The only time this car let me down big time was around 100,000 miles, it dropped dead on the highway..the crank position sensor failed, the job wasn't a huge expense but the towing and inconvenience made me quite unhappy, but oh well, things DO break.

I did have some front end work done but that was due to an accident, it would have damaged most any car about the same way so I won't hold that against it.

I have high hopes of getting plenty of use out of this thing still, oh and I did teach my 2 daughters to drive a manual trans on this and the clutch survived, so it must be pretty tough.

Any high mileage accent drivers out there? How long do these things last? My Accent replaced a 1993 Honda Civic that went 297,000 miles without any major calamities.. the camshaft broke at 297k but the engine was pretty well worn out by then anyway, I was planning on retiring it at 300,000. I gave it away to someone who needed it since I was pretty tired of it by then and the interior was worn out, but the rest was still in good shape, it's still on the road with a junkyard engine in it. Any chance my Accent will last as long?

Reply to
Mikey S.

Reply to
Jose Juan Miqueleno

You consider one breakdown, one annoyance, and one non critical part failure in 140,000 miles a lemon? Everything else is routine maintenance...hmm I did change the spark plugs once too, come to think of it.

Reply to
Mikey S.

Yes. My 1996 Accent will in the next week go over 214,000 miles. I will change the timing belt next at 230,000 miles. And, yes, I do expect the car the make it that far. It has started rusting (Vermont winters are tough) and has a slightly warped front rotor. If the car died today, it was well worth the $7,500 purchase price as a 1996 leftover. I too, taught our daughter to drive a standard transmission on this car nine years ago.

Jozef

Reply to
Jozef

I think that was a tongue-in-cheek statement.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I wasn't sure..

Reply to
Mikey S.

- Mooron

Reply to
Mooron

And even though my name appears above, I wrote nothing here.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Sorry 'bout the sloppy snippage.