Manually shifting an AT.

I have a new OBW 2.5 AT. My first AT ever. For the past

30 years, everything I have ever owned has had a manual tranny. Now I have this AT. I find that I get better acceleration with lower RPMs if I manually select my gears. I can also downshift and engine brake better if I do it manually.

Will this hurt the tranny? I thought, many years ago, that people were told not to manually shift an AT. Is this still the case?

TIA

Reply to
finch

I'm doing the same with my 2002 Outback 2.5 AT. No problems so far (~

68K km).

Voja Burnaby, BC, Canada

f> I have a new OBW 2.5 AT. My first AT ever. For the past

Reply to
Voja

it has never been the case in any vehicle. gmc vans to trucks to cars shift it or leave it in drive

Reply to
Leader

I use the Manual control of my 4EAT all the time. Ultimately my tranny shifts less (I manually hold it in the proper gear) and the car is a lot more fun to drive.

If I don't need to get away from a light quickly, I start out in second, and at speeds under 40 mph, I usually keep it out of OD.

I downshift when slowing, but I've mastered a carefully-timed throttle blip that minimizes clutch-pack wear. -Danny

Reply to
Danny Russell

This begs the obvious question: Why did you buy an auto if you're going to shift it like a stick?

Reply to
Ragnar

I too like to manually shift our new 05 OBW. However I am not the only driver and others in my family prefer to let the trans shift itself. Were I the only driver I likely would have chosen the manual.

Ron

Reply to
Rockin Ronnie

My previous 2 cars' owner's manual specifically recommended against engine braking and changing gears with the throttle anywhere near open, but they were older, mechanical automatics. My 2000 Legacy's manual gives information on engine braking and changing gears. I guess the electronic automatics can handle the gear changing and engine braking that older automatics could not...

My 2 cents...

Nicolas

Reply to
Nicolas Dore

I find that it's enough to downshift to 3rd on occasion and let the computer worry about 1st & 2nd. I downshift to third to get on the highway, especially when there's not much of a merge lane. This was real useful the other day when a Honda Accord decided to hang out in my blind spot. Getting from 45 to 75 is much quicker without the downshift.

-R.

Reply to
Richard Chang

Nope. Do it as much as you like.

David Betts snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk

Reply to
David Betts

Then teach them to drive a stick. Its not like its rocket science.

Reply to
Ragnar

Sigh. Because the wife can't drive a stick and won't learn. I wanted a car that she could drive as well (new kid and all that). Just seemed like the thing to do.

Reply to
finch

It may not hurt it per se, but it will wear it out faster.

Reply to
Rob Munach

Some people just won't do it. It's the reality of families.

-John O

Reply to
John O

True...

Rocket science is easy compared to teaching some people something new, or that they don't want to learn.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Teaching your wife/girlfriend to drive with a stick shift is on the list of things you should not do if you want to keep your relationship.

It's there right under "Answering the question 'Does this dress make me look fat?'"

-R.

Reply to
Richard Chang

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I can't answer your question but I find it rather rude that automatic drivers are often looked down apon as though they are inferior or less capable behind the wheel. If someone wants to drive an AT and use the sportshift to get better performance this does not automatically mean they should get a manual. It's a completely personal preference.

Reply to
Marky

Sounds like someone is a little sensitive. Self-esteem problem?

Reply to
Ragnar

Is a bit of maturity too much to ask?

Reply to