Manually shifting an AT.

Hi, welcome to usenet. You must be new here. :)

Reply to
Patrick Fisher

Heh I think teaching stick-shift is a breeze compared to finding the correct answer to that question. Seriously though, I agree that all drivers ought to be able to handle a manual tranny, even if they prefer autos, as I do in my more sensible (boring) cars.

-- GW De Lacey

Reply to
GW De Lacey

A further 2 cents in the kitty: It depends on the design of the tranny. and is to do with the cut of the helical gears and the effectiveness of the reverse thrust bearings, or even whether or not they exist. In the absence of an opinion from someone who has knowledge of a specific make and model, I'd be guided by the manual.

Reply to
GW De Lacey

Why in this day and age would anyone bother with a primitive manual transmission? Autos give same or better mileage , less maintenance and any failures are covered by warranty unlike manuals. A stick may be more fun in a sporty car on the open roads of nevada or somewhere but heading south on a friday afternoon after labor day in the ny/nj area makes an auto the only wise choice

Reply to
busterb

Edward...are you saying that the AT computer watches the way I drive, and adjusts its shift strategy accordingly? If so, can I assume that disconnecting the battery for a while will reset its memory? (this is good news, if true)

-John O

Reply to
John O

I agree. SWMBO can drive a stick, but she'll avoid it if at all possible. Seems a few posters here are a too self-centered to understand what that means. Hopefully they'll reach 30 years old some day, and then move away from home. In the meantime, I drive an AT, AND I'm getting lucky tonight. :-P

John O

Reply to
John O

For the same reason this site (and product) exists...

:-)

-John O

Reply to
John O

I see that you didn't answer the question.

And yes, a bit of maturity _is_ too much to ask ;)

Reply to
Ragnar

Hi, actually I am not new. I guess I expected a bit too much :)

Anyway back to work...

Reply to
Marky

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Because I keep stomping the floor mat when I switch to automatics?

Reply to
Brian

OK, that explains why the tranny was wonderful when I bought the car, and then I drove it like a baby and it started shifting wierd. Esp between 1 &

2, where it clunks hard unless I let it idle down the road into 2, or press to 3200 rpm right out of the driveway. Then I had to zoom home one day, and the think kinda freaked. Out to pull the battery cable right now and start over. Thanks Ed!

-John O

Reply to
John O

When my wife and I got married I was the only one that owned cars and I had

2 5 speed Jeep Cherokees. My wife had only driven autos all her life. Now all we own are manuals and she won't go back.
Reply to
Henry Paul

Maybe that is true of mileage with Subaru's. My dad had a '94 Jeep Cherokee AT and I had a '93 MT. I got 4mpg better gas mileage.

IMO, ATs are too boring to drive. I like more interaction with my car.

Reply to
Henry Paul

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I LIKE knowing what gear the car's gonna be in when I want it in that gear, and I don't like wondering what some stupid computer is gonna try to imagine I'll need next depending on whether I feathered the throttle or stomped on it last time I drove! I've only owned one auto in my life, a Toyota Camry V-6. Thank God that engine's got enough going for it to overcome the transmission's vagueries. And I understand Subaru's auto's are even MORE vague about what they'll do next. I live at the foot of the mountains, and do a lot of mountain driving. I can't imagine having to drive an auto up and down the hill as one's only vehicle.

As for mileage, I've yet to see two cars, otherwise equal except auto vs stick, get the same mileage. Always in favor of the stick IME. Again, I speak only for the cars I've driven.

Less maintenance for an auto? Gimme a break. I've never (knock on wood) had to rebuild a manual box yet, and several have had over 200k miles; the one on my Subie's at 355k right now. Those I know with autos (particularly American) are pleased to see 100k miles without some major expense. One exception's been that same Toyota auto--it's got 217k miles (mostly all freeway) without being torn down. Of course, the $75 plus flush job every 30k miles might have helped. Hmmm... that's 7 x $75 = $525. Still a shade higher than a clutch (and, yes, I get good clutch mileage, again, that freeway driving. Last one went 300k+) and gear oil changes. But YMMV.

Warranty coverage? Guess it all depends... but I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Now that's your choice. I'd rather live out of a shopping cart in the park here in SoCal than live in that part of the world--and not cuz of the traffic. You want traffic? We can SHOW you traffic! But it's every day, not just holidays!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

What's so hard about that? You can answer "Not at all" while perhaps thinking... it's your ass that makes you look fat.

-rick-

Reply to
-rick-

Gee, you must have a tame life. That answer can land me in as much trouble as the other one.

Reply to
GW De Lacey

Reply to
Don.

LOL, my MT limitation will be probably be limited to the one who actually gave birth to the other creatues in the house...when my oldest son gets his license in a couple years, I'm *sure* he'll learn to drive a stick if that's all he can get.

-John O

Reply to
John O