Milage of 1997 Legacy Outback (Wagon)

Hi All,

I have a 1997 Legacy Outback (Wagon)

2.5 liter 4 cylinder Automatic Transmission ~40Km

For several years I drove my Outback in a city setting about 7 miles to work and back. I got only 13-17MPG on regular gas. Milage was worse in the winter. I always thought I was driving the car in the "worst case scenerio" of a short commute with lots of stops.

Now I am commuting 18 miles in mixed city/highway traffic usually moving at good speed. I was hoping my milage would increase to over

20MPG but so far I am only seeing ~19MPG.

The car has been serviced by several different shops each saying that it was running fine. It has passed it's smog test each time. The only strange thing I notice is a distinct smell of gas when it starts. This seems to go away quickly.

Any comments? Is this reasonable milage for this car?

Reply to
jthan

This has been discussed many times before in this very newsgroup.

In CA you'll get noticeably worse milage than in e.g. Arizona, due to alcohol additives.

FWIW, I get 20 MPG in a 97 OBW with A/T and 93K miles in mixed city/highway driving (10 mile commute) in Los Angeles, about 22MPG @78mph (speed limit is 70) going from LA to San Francisco on I-5 (mostly flat central valley).

Happy holidays,

Reply to
Paul Pluzhnikov