H6 3.0 milage

I am new to the Subaru family as I recently bought a new Outback (U.S.) with the H6

3.0 engine. I have about 2300 miles on it. It is a great car so far.

However, I was wondering if the gas milage will improve over time. I am

getting about 18.5 in mixed driving and @17 "city". The highest I have gotten on mostly highway driving with 4 people in the car is about 22.3.

Anybody have any experience with this engine? Is there anything I should be especially on the look out for?

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me. Please respond to the newsgroup.

Don

Reply to
Don Truitt

I am new to the Subaru family as I recently bought a new Outback (U.S.) with the H6

3.0 engine. I have about 2300 miles on it. It is a great car so far.

However, I was wondering if the gas milage will improve over time. I am getting about 18.5 in mixed driving and @17 "city". The highest I have gotten on mostly highway driving with 4 people in the car is about 22.3. Anybody have any experience with this engine? Is there anything I should be especially on the look out for?

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

Don

Reply to
Don

I forget how big the tank is but I average about 300miles per tank with my H6. I haven't noticed to much difference between city and highway. I'm guessing this is because of the way the EPA calculates city driving something like 23 stops and xx min idle per mile. I make maybe 2 to 3 stops per 5 miles.

If you want a little more mpg google this group for skeezyweezy's (sic) post > I am new to the Subaru family as I recently bought a new Outback (U.S.) > with

Reply to
null

Reply to
null

Will your mod work for earlier models? I have a 2000 Leg GT Limited?

Thanks,

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Subarutoo

As far as I know, the only Subarus that come equipped with a bypass valve on the muffler are those that have the H6 3.0 EZ motor. It wouldn't hurt to look, though. Check the driver's side of the muffler for an "appendix" coming out of the side of the muffler towards the front of the car, and then re-entering the side of the muffler that is towards the rear of the car. If I'm correct, the 4's just have a plain Jane "tractor" style muffler.

Reply to
Skweezieweezie

Reply to
null

I average 25 consistently in mostly rural/small city driving. I use 93 octane 75% of the time, regular the rest of the time. My car has 25,000 miles currently. I love the H.6! John Athens, GA

Reply to
John A. Mason

Although I'm in Australia and we are in litres/100Kms I think the conversion is 3.86lts per US gallon. The best mileage I have received is 8.23lts/100Kms which calculates to 29 miles per US gallon. This was at a constant 120K/h (75mph) with the air on and 2 people with a small amount of luggage.

I consistantly get 11.5lts/100Kms (21mpUSg)around Sydney with air on. I use our 98 octane unleaded (I think this octane rating is different to the US type but is our top octane type. It maybe the same as your top octane which I think is 93?)

Reply to
Lance B

I'm sorta disappointed with the mileage I'm getting so far. This is how it breaks down:

1441 mi total: 20.4 mpg overall best mileage: 29.5 mpg on a 372 mile trip local mileage: 14.9 mpg

Hope it gets better after break in. And when would that be?

My '95 got an overall of 19.1 mpg, not much better than my '91 Jeep's 18 mpg.

Al

Al

Reply to
Al

I have an '01 VDC, with 55K miles. I do 90% highway driving at 75-80 MPH.

Average is 24 MPG. Always.

Dukephoto

Reply to
MDCORE

I have a 2003 Outback wagon with the H6-3.0 engine and automatic transmission. Mine has 2800 miles on it. My mileage on the last 3 tanks of gas has been between 24 and 26 mpg. That's U.S. gallons, premium-grade fuel (93 octane). According to the fuel pumps around here, that octane rating uses the formula (R+M)/2. The miles I've driven have been a mix of rural, small town, and freeway, but mostly rural, at speeds between 45 and 65 mph.

According to the EPA, the best fuel economy is found at speeds around

45-55 mph.
Maybe that's why my mileage is pretty good?

C. Brunner

Reply to
C. Brunner

My '71 XKE gets its best mileage at 3000 RPM, and that translates to between 65-70 mph. It's about 21.5 mpg at that rate.

Al

Reply to
Al