Milky tears inside headlamp assy

2002 Subaru Legacy L wagon 79K miles (yeah, very low)

One of the headlights has discoloration inside the lens. Looks like milky white tears that streak down from the top. What is that? If it was a crack letting in water, why it is opaque white? Was it the glue bonding the frontside and backside of the headlamp assembly?

I've seen other Subies have the same milky white tears on the inside of the lens. Since this headlamp takes a bulb (i.e., it is removable), can the milky white stuff be cleaned off, like using ear swabs with long stems or a sponge bottle brush?

Or do I have to buy a new headlamp assembly? I'm getting some mechanical items repaired on this car: head gasket (yep, this one finally exhibited that problem) and timing belt. Then I figured to do all the niggly stuff: dent (and rust) in the driver door from someone tossing a rock at it - and the teary headlamp.

If the white stuff can be cleaned out, and if the bulb socket allows entry inside the lens and isn't a sealed compartment for the bulb, I figured that I might as well as try to clean it. I would've have to buy a new headlamp assembly if I didn't try. So I might as well try to clean the inside of the lens if accessible.

To clarify, it is not a problem with the lens going blurry which a buffing and coating will cure. The milky white deposit is on the

*inside* of the lens and streaks down from the top.
Reply to
VanguardLH