Missing a key concept on reading Subaru trouble codes?

Previously posted in the group is a method to use check engine light flashes to read codes. I have some service info on my 95 Impreza that has CEL ON. I've located the two connectors. I want to do the check and can count light pulses!

My quandry is: What do they connect to? The data gives a matrix of the two: Connected, not connected. To what? What am I missing? Is there a tool? My matrix would have just two lines:

1) Connected to each other; 2) Not connected to each other. That doesn't seem right.

What am I missing? Am I too dumb to perform this test? Am I missing a tool?

Thanks, Bill Hale Loveland CO

----------------------------------- Subaru Trouble Codes

--- CODE RETRIEVAL --

There are self diagnostic connectors on all models which, when connected together with the key in the ON position (engine off) flash diagnostic codes through the LED light on the Oxygen Monitor on the ECU. The connectors are under the steering wheel, to the left of the Oxygen Monitor on most models. On Carbureted and Single-Point Fuel Injected 1989 Models, the test connectors are located on the engine side of the firewall, on the driver's side. Impreza models have the ECU and test connectors located behind the right side of the dash instead of the left. On SVX models the connectors are located behind the driver's kick panel.

There are four test modes. With NEITHER test connector connected, and the key in the ON (engine off) position, the light will display codes that relate to starting and driving. With ONLY the "Read Memory" connector connected, historic codes will be displayed. With ONLY the "Test Mode" connector connected, a dealership technician can perform dynamic tests. The last mode is for clearing codes (see below).

Reply to
bill_hale

You might find this helpful-

Also some 95 Subarus were OBDII. Be sure yours is OBDI or the DIY-light flash method won't work.

Reply to
mulder

Thanks for the help. This website is better than my printed materials.

There is still something goofy... mine doesn't agree with any of the pix exactly.

It's a 95 impreza 1.8. There is nothing on the right hand side except heaters.

The left connector is a single one--no mate anywhere. It has 2 female blade shape pins, with green-wh stripe and wh-blk stripe wires going into it. It has a grey top.

The right connectors... there are two a male and female that will plug together. They each have a single wire, one black and one red.

I'm about to plug these together and see if I can read some codes.

Bill Halel

Reply to
bill_hale