92 grand marquis questions??

i need to access the check engine light codes on this car(4.6),unlike the gm obd 1 system of jumping test terminals on the connector and reading the "check eng. light flashes"(so easy,so simple)everyone tells me so far i,ve talked to that there is a test plug somewhere under the hood and you've got to jump terminals and use a multimeter use read sweeps of the needle to get the codes,another tells me that you have to jump terminals and read the "check eng. light flashes"with the test plug under the hood,still another tells me that you can jump terminals like a gm connector under the dash to read the flashes on the "check eng. light",yet another tells me that i have to buy a code reader that plugs into the test plug under the hood,this is way to complacated,just what is the way to read the codes rather then having a mech. do it at a price???

also,does this car have one or two O2 sensors on it??

thanks

Reply to
robert -wanda fox

Almost all the answers you received are correct. EEC IV vehicles (like yours) have a six-pin 'self test connector' and a single pin 'self test input' connector. You put the engine computer in diagnostic mode by making a connection between the single pin and the appropriate (actually ground) pin on the 6-pin connector. You can read the codes on your 'check engine' light, on a test lamp plugged between the correct pin on the connector and B+, or substitute an analog voltmeter for the test light (actually, the check engine light in your vehicle goes exactly to the same spot where you'd plug the test light). There is plenty of information on the net (including the archives of this group) about the details and the various tests you can run. As they say, Google is your friend... Search for 'EEC IV diagnostic codes' or some such. If you want to take a shortcut to the tune of about $40, a code reader engages both connectors, makes the right connections, and has an LED, on which it flashes the codes. Those typically come with a brochure, listing the codes and the various tests you might run. Whether to replace a paper clip (to short the two pins together) and a Google search with a $40 gizmo is up to you... The real problem, of course, is not how to read the codes, but what to do with the results. Use the kind souls on this group - they are eager to help!

Being a V-type engine, yours has two (most likely heated) oxygen sensors, one on each bank. Newer, (OBDII) vehicles with V-engines have four of them.

"robert -wanda fox" wrote in message news:XLx0g.8984$MU4.4603@trnddc03...

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Unless I'm sadly mistaken, your 4.6 will be OBD2 with a DLC under the instrument panel....

Reply to
Jim Warman

OBD2 on a '92 vehicle??? Wouldn't that be at least 3 years too soon? My book (albeit not the FSM) is showing the '92 CV/GM as EEC IV.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

============ ============ Sadly, u-r mistaken.

obd1

~:~ MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
MarshMonster

What he said.

or...... go to AutoZonedOut and get it scanned for free.

~:~ MarshMonster ~post the codes for more help~

Reply to
MarshMonster