replace bulb in auto transmission shifter

I have a 97 Subaru Impreza with an automatic transmission. Recently the bulb that back lights the shifter gears (P,R,D,2,1) has gone out.
Sometimes it will come back if I continuously tap at the console. My guess is the bulb is dying or loose. How do I get to this bulb? I've tried by removing the outer cover around the shifter (as you would to reach the shift lock override), but can find no obvious way to get to the bulb. Anyone have suggestions or better yet a solution? Any guess on cost if the shop does it? Thanks!!