Need advice - Alignment and tread wear

Hello,

I noticed a strange wear pattern on the right rear tire of my Subaru Legacy '95

The tread iscompletely worn out on the inner side of the tire, but there's quite abit left on the outer side. The tire has at least 30K miles on it andhas not been rotated at all. Is this wear pattern normal or do you seea problem with rear-wheel alignment? Would four-wheel alignment helpat all?

The right front tire looks like this

after 25K miles. Thewear pattern there looks normal to me, but I wouldn't know for sure. If you have any advice or some thoughts for me, I'd be glad to hear from you.

Thanks!

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Cannot tell for sure from the pic but I think that the front end toe-in may be a little out. Needs more toe-in?

About the rear tire: Is the bearing OK? When you jack up the car and feel the play of the wheel? Is there any play (there should not be any)? Any doubts on a possible tire quality problem? If it were a thrust angle alignment you should see some abnormal wear in the left rear tire too.

A simple way to see if the car has a thurst angle alignment problem is: Drive the car in a straight line, over a wet area into a dry area. (think of watering the street, an area long enough to cover at least one full rotation of the tires). Check the tracks left on the dry area and verify that the rear tire tracks are centered with respect the front tire tracks. If they are not, you need a 4 wheel alignment.

Good luck!

Alex wrote:

Reply to
TM

looks like excessive -ve camber on that right rear wheel.

jm2c ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert

Advice would be to rotate your tires at least every 7,500 miles. No alignment will take the place of preventative maintenance.

Reply to
Greg