Pro-Rating Worn Tires For New Set ?

Hi,
What a really grat Newsgroup, and folks.
As I wrote in a previous Post, I have a 2008 Buick LaCrosse with only about 14K miles on it.
Tires are Goodyear Integrity, that came with the new car.
They are already worn out.
Two Tire places said that as they are OEM, I have no recourse as to getting some kind of pro-rated $ for a new set.
Sure won't be Goodyear again ! Thinking of Michelin Harmony-thoughts on ?
Before I go back to Dealership to complain, what is my recourse re this matter ? Are they right that I have none, or... ?
Would just like to learn a bit before seeing and discussing with them.
Thanks, Bob
On 10/10/2010 07:47 AM, Bob wrote:

Check the warranty information that came with your car in with the owner's manual, service instructions, etc. You may or may not be able to get any $$ for these tires depending on warranty. You may have to buy tires at the dealership to get the pro-rating and/or have to buy new Goodyear tires, which IMHO wouldn't be worth it.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Unless you drive like a Sydney cab driver (either full throttle or full brake at all times) something is desperately wrong (wheel alignment, tire pressure, suspension, rear brake issue ...) as 14K miles isn't anything close to acceptable tire wear. The tread wear pattern can itself speak volumes to a trained eye (speak to an eye?).
On 10/10/2010 11:25 AM, Portnoy wrote:

The whole combination is garbage. Garbage tires, garbage suspension (it's a FWD GM) and it's probably out of alignment too (it's a FWD GM.) Have seen similar issues on several Chevy Impalas (company vehicles)
I've found that the vehicle rides better when the tires are run a little over the recommended pressure (I use 34-35 PSI rather than the recommended 30 PSI) at factory settings it'll eat the outside edges of the front tires and rides like a marshmallow.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Some Impalas wear rear tires badly, some don't. If they do, there's a fix they used on the police cars but GM won't commonly pay for civilians. That's why people turn against GM. They stonewall paying for blatant defects that are easily fixed. You could do the fix yourself for maybe $300 in parts or have it done for $4-500. That's TSB CSP-08032 (http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/recalltsb.html?type=tsb&styleId 0757492&zip=) The OP's Lacrosse might be subject to that (W-platform I think), but he didn't mention back tires, so maybe he's "lucky.". Fronts going that fast, even crap tires, might be bad front alignment. The Impala front suspension should be solid if alignment is correctly done. Haven't seen any issues with the design. My guess is at least half of alignments aren't done by good alignment guys. I've never had alignment issues with my Luminas, Celebritys or Cosicas. None.

Always good to check pressure against tire wear. My Lumina rides the same and wears tires the same at 30 or 35 psi but transmits much more highway crack noise more at 35 psi, where I usually keep it. I rented a Malibu once that had low profile tires. It danced all over the highway at the beginning of a long trip and I thought I'd have to take it back and lose a lot of vacation hours. Tires all looked the same to me. Pulled over and bought a tire gage and found the left front had 15 psi. Tracked perfectly after I put 30 in it like the other 3 had. Sensitive. All other cars I've driven will just pull with a low tire.
I second whoever said look at Tirerack.com to select tires for your car. Had good luck doing that.
--Vic
On 10/10/2010 01:56 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

(http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/recalltsb.html?type=tsb&styleId 0757492&zip=)

The problem that I have seen on two of my own company cars (also W-body Impalas) as well as several of others (there's 5-6 people in my office that have or had the same car) is not the premature wear of the *rear* tires but the *front.* And my own car has <50K miles on it and has been aligned twice. Coworker had to drive it last weekend for various reasons, and when he returned it he said "I like your car, it's pretty decent. Needs an alignment though."
yeah, I know. It *always* needs an alignment.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Who is doing the current alignments? I know the company vehicles I drove had restriction on where we could take them for work. They wanted CHEAP, EASY, Reliable and good work were WAY down on the list.
The Caravans we had were good vehicles as long as these places didn't touch them. I finally got PO'd and pulled the one I had into my shop and went through the front end. Did a real alignment with it on my frame table. Used corrected ride heights and the difference was dramatic. The key to a good alignment is the person doing the job. Most of the machines work OK but they cannot tell if there is a damaged part or other problem.
--
Steve W.

What do you mean by worn out? on the edge, high and low spots, lo
tread, bald tread
--
Airport Shuttl

'' (http://www.yourcityride.com
message

Your responses are invariably idiotic. Kindly go away!
message

een

Unfortunately I have the same situation and share your opinion of the shop that I'm told I should use. I *would* consider paying for an alignment myself, but it is difficult to arrange when I need to drive the car every day.
Nevertheless, I don't believe that in absence of curb-surfing etc. any factory-produced vehicle that was theoretically correctly aligned at the factory should need alignment prior to 50K miles, but that is demonstrably not the case with these cars. I can't remember ever having another vehicle where I ever did an alignment more than once after purchase, save for after strut replacements or other suspension work. I would specifically request that the alignment be checked whenever I had tires replaced, and all my worn tires looked fairly flat and even, save for once when I drove too long between replacing the struts on the front of an old Scirocco and getting it aligned, and the inside edges of the front tires got chewed amazingly quickly.
nate

I dont think you will get much of a deal from the dealership. I was told once that if I had some money in the bank and some shitto tires on my car, I was a fool.
I dont buy anything but high quality rated tires. You are risking you life on them.
Talk to the dealership, and see what they will do, but dont take worthless shitto tires just because you get a couple of dollars off the price.
Research them, as I posted previously.