Need light socket pigtail for 2003 Baja?

My girlfriend has a 2003 Baja.

The socket or pigtail or whatever its called that plugs into the headlamp is needing replaced as its corroded and appears to be somewhat melted.... causing her headlight to go out due to poor contact and electrical flow.

I don't know anything abt Subaru's.... but can you guy be so kind as to point me to an online source of these "pigtails"?

And...can it be changed by me or is this something a mechanic must do?

Reply to
me

johninky

Forgot to mention you just cut ad splice. Cut off the bad and splice in the new.

Reply to
johninky

And get a tube of dielectric grease from any autoparts store and put some on the contacts.

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

OK thanks..... I will have to look at the female socket again and determine which one to get as there are so many designs!!

Reply to
me

GREAT idea!

Thanks guys!

Reply to
me

This is a routine thing; I've done the one on my wife's '02 Forry twice now. Pretty sure it's because of the DRLs: it gets hot when the headlights are on all of the time. Subaru has used this connector on a bunch of cars, back to the early '90s Legacys anyway. Wire colors may be different, but that won't matter. Cut off the old connector, and hit the salvage yard for a replacement (get two and toss one into the glove box). Shouldn't be more'n a couple bucks; they usually throw them away. Use butt crimps (or solder) to attach the replacement. I'd also suggest disabling the DRLs (if your SO will allow it ;-); simply a matter of unplugging the resistor module under the hood. Instructions available on line, either at scoobymods, or on the NASIOC website. Hope this helps.

ByeBye! S.

Wow! I never thought abt the DRL's causing it but I bet that is right!! Thanks!! I wonder what the heck could cause that connection to melt like that! Duh!!

My car doesn't have DRL as its to old.... so didn't even think abt that.

Wow thanks so much for the detailed instructions!! I'm not a mechanic so not good at these things but what you say above sounds doable even by me. Again thanks

Reply to
me

Is this a common problem with Subaru's... i.e. that the DRL get so hot as to cause connectors to melt?!

Reply to
me

Well, I'd hesitate to state absolutely that it was caused by the DRL's, but it isn't an uncommon problem; I've seen it on the missuses (that a word d'ya suppose?) Forry as already mentioned, and on various late model Legacys. At least some of the Legacys did _not_ have DRL's, but some drivers (my SO for one) run with the headlights on all of the time anyway. I suppose it's a safety issue; probably increases visibility. I've seen some Soobies that use a different style lamp and connector; never had trouble with one of those.

The problem might stem from having the lights on all of the time. Then again, it might be just a marginal-from-the-manufacturer female terminal in the connector that isn't gripping the lug on the lamp tightly. Might be caused by improper removal of the connector (they can be a bear, as I'm sure you've noticed), or be a loose terminal resulting from too many mating cycles (heh!), or ???.

In any event, it's an easy DIY fix, the biggest problem is usually moving stuff out of the way so you can get both hands in to work on it. Having a spare connector in the glove box will virtually assure that it never happens again :-)

ByeBye! S.