Re: Wrench for holding crank, on sale

I don't understand the need to risk damage to the crank pulley from a chain wrench, just to loosen the pulley bolt. I always just removed the 'dust cover' at the flywheel, and used a large screwdriver inserted at a bolt to hold the crank from turning.........

Bob, > I have successfully used a chain wrench to hold the crank pulley. On my old > Legacy the air wrench wouldn't fit unless the radiator was removed. The air > wrench can remove the bolt successfully but can't perform the needed > torquing when re-assembling. The 24 inch wrench should be big enough for > most cars. > **** C A U T I O N **** > When using a chain wrench you need to cushion the jaws of the wrench. > Otherwise you will dent the edges of the crank pulley. I used a three inch > section of old radiator hose sliced on one side. This fits under the jaws > of the chain wrench nicely and will allow you to apply enough pressure to > re-tighten the bolt. > Also, be carefull not to apply more pressure than needed to hold the > pulley. Excessive pressure could bend the pulley and make it wobble. Bad. > JD. > > I have yet to replace the timing chain in our Subys but I have seen the > > questions posted re how to hold the crank in order to unscrew the > crankshaft > > bolt. (I have been assuming I can do it with an air wrench, but that does > > require removing the radiator to make space.) > > The latest flyer from Harbor Freight has their number 42717-2HAB 24" chain > > wrench on sale for $9.99. It is the "spitting image" of the wrench shown > in > > the Haynes manual (Haynes number 89100) for exactly this purpose, Haynes' > > figure 6.7 captioned "Use a chain wrench to lock the cranshaft pulley > whike > > removing the crankshaft bolt..." > > I will be checking to see if our local HF store has these in stock, the > > catalog with this item is for ordering from. (You can see the tool at the > HF > > web site,
if you enter the item number42717, > > but it will appear at the $19.99 regular price. If you use their "Order > from > > Printed Catalog" button and enter the complete number above you will get > the > > reduced price.) My experience with HF tools of this sort is that they are > > not works of art but are apt to do their job well enough. > > Bob Wilson > > > > > >
Reply to
someone

Robert L. Wilson

if it's a manual tranny and the clutch is in good shape, first try putting it into 5th gear, set the hand brake hard, and give it a shot.

worked for me, but i was at 6k mi.

ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert