Oil disappeared

The oil light on my 2002 wrx came on. I changed oil and only 2 quarts drained out. I had to put in 4 quarts.

There is no oil dripping on my garage floor. Where did the oil go? There is no other noticeable symtom (no loss of power, no strange noise...)

My guess is either the oil is burned in the engine (piston leak), or went into the cooling system. I haven't open the radiator cap to look at the coolant yet. Are there other possibilities?

If I don't find oil in the coolant, should I get a piston leak down test? And how much would it cost to fix the piston rings?

Reply to
bob

drop the exhaust and fire it up - before the cat converter. see if it smokes. And while you are doing that, look for a tarry patch on the converter/exh pipe. If no exhaust smoke and tarry exhaust check for head gasket leak dripping onto the exhaust... Could be valve guides if you are getting exhaust smoke.

Reply to
clare

Depending on where you park it, it could be some scumbag stealing the oil.

It sounds unlikely (and probably is the least likely option), but earlier this year there was a spate of petrol thievery here in New Zealand. At one point the scum were going around at night drilling holes in underside of the petrol tank on cars parked on the street / in driveways to drain it into a can. :-(

Reply to
Your Name