old wives' tale?

I have a 2000 Forester with 176k miles and I'd like to change the transmission fluid and replace the filter if it has one. I told the shop I don't want it flushed - only drained and filled. I had heard horror stories of bad things happening if you flushed an old transmission. The shop said that this is an old wives' tale and isn't a problem. Opinions anyone? The car has been reasonably well maintained. TIA

Reply to
Tim Conway

Don't flush it whatever you do. Drain and refill . only. Ask the shop if they will pay for the tranny rebuild you will need

will> I have a 2000 Forester with 176k miles and I'd like to change the

Reply to
Big Jim
******************************************************************************************* Good point. I think I"ll just drain and refill. It's too risky. Thanks everyone for your replies. tim

will> I have a 2000 Forester with 176k miles and I'd like to change the

Reply to
Tim Conway

If it is PROPERLY flushed there is no danger. An automatic transmission that fails after a PROPER flush would have failed very shortly without a flush as well.

A PROPER flush is just an "extended drain and fill", with no flushing agent, and no applied pressures or suctions.

The difference between a "drain " and a "flush" is several liters of dirty fluid - and that is ALL. It can NOT cause damage to friction materials, bearings, or gears.

The WRONG FLUID, hawever, can kill a transmission pretty quickly.

The only good alternative to a proper flush is a drain and refill with addition of a QUALITY transmission fluid conditioner.

BG Chemicals makes a good one. Likely a few others around as well, but they need to restore the additives that are depleted in the fluid you are not changing with a "drain and fill" (which only changes, optimistically, 25% of the fluid in the transmission)

Reply to
clare

It is JUST as risky NOT to do a proper fluid change/flush.

Reply to
clare

Reply to
Big Jim

Hachiroku got it right, ref similar thread here.

Oil flushes of transmissions that have not been maintained properly is very risky. Many will fail afterwards.

In transmissions with proper maintenance, flushing should not pose a problem.

Good luck!

AS

Big Jim wrote:

Reply to
AS

LOL! Experience is an excellent teacher!

Reply to
Hachiroku