OPINIONS: Husky floor liners vs. Subaru rubber floor mats

Hello all

I want to put rubber floor mats in my 2000 Legacy. The Subaru mats look a little "light duty to me" so I am considering Husky floor liners

Anybody have the Husky? How are they turning out? Is the rubber holding up well, no shrinkage from heat, etc?

As for the Subaru mats, any experiences from people in areas with a lot of snow/melted snow in winter? Do they keep the water in or does it spill out onto the floor?

Thanks in advance!

Nicolas

Reply to
Nicolas Dore

The Forrester mats fit the OBW exactly, and are very heavy duty. Don't know if they'll fit the sedan, but the dealer will try it out for you. They cost the same.

Reply to
Alan Shein

I use the subaru black rubber mats in my 2000 outback. They are very sturdy and hold a lot of water, which means they work well in the New England winters.

Reply to
JDC

snip

I'm looking for mats also so thanks for the link. The ones I've seen from subaru don't cover the foot rest, and don't have tub sides like the ones you linked to. I went to the husky home page for more info and they sound not to bad. Wish I could see them first though.

F.plant

Reply to
F. Plant

Take a look at the Forrester mats. They fit, and should cover what you want.

Reply to
Alan

The only style of Forrester mats I've seen is like

mats are cut around the LH footrest and they do not come up the sides(about 2.5") of the floorpan like the Husky. Are your mats different from the link? If so do you have a link or a subaru part number?

F.plant

Reply to
F. Plant

I agree, I don't really see a point in using Forester mats in a Legacy instead of Legacy mats... :-/

Nicolas

Reply to
Nicolas Dore

I've gone ahead and ordered the husky mats. If they are reasonable quality and fit, they will give much better winter protection than OEM. I'll probably put a small 'pantsaver' type mat in the bottom to keep my cuffs out of the slush and maybe put a newspaper in the bottom once in a while to soak up the water. For summer I'll switch to regular mats.

F.Plant

Reply to
F. Plant

I'd have to take a look at mine, but I'm pretty sure they are the ones pictured.

Reply to
Alan

The Legacy mats are not nearly as good as the Forrester mats. Have you actually seen them yourself? The Forrester mats were suggested to me by the parts guy at the dealer. Same price, much better mats.

Reply to
Alan

Reply to
null

snip

I emailed Husky and they sent photos showing the mats. The dead pedal is covered, but it does not wrap up the fenderwall so you may still get a little bit behind the liner. A bit of rubber added to the edge would solve that. The passenger hooks to the left to cover the dead spot next to the hump at the firewall. I'm picking some up probably tomorrow so I will post back

F. Plant

Reply to
F. Plant

Picked up the husky liners. They are plastic, not rubber and are formed reasonably well to teh floorpan shape including the dead pedal. They come up a couble of inches at the sides, leaving a few inches of susceptible exposed carpet at the door sill and tunnel. At the seat they are cut lower to allow for seat movement, so I could see water sloshing over the edge there, especially since the liners don't have any water retention ribs. For the front of the mats they don't have tub edges, so there is a bit of exposure to the left of the footrest and to the right of the gas. Same issues on the passenger side.

I'm going to keep mine since it does provide better coverage for the foot rest than anything else I've come across. That said they need to make some improvements. I may try to get some thin rubber or neoprene and extend the edges in a few places at the front. Will also be putting a smaller mat inside to catch to bulk of the slush in the winter to keep water from sloshing around.

F. Plant

Reply to
F. Plant