OT: Best car for my sister?

First off, I know the best car for my sister would be an Impreza or a Forester, but both my mom and I drive Subarus and sis hates them. She thinks mom's Forester is ugly and thinks my Outback is stupid. Her exact words.

Anyway, with a limit of 10 grand to spend, preferably less, she needs to replace her ailing Pontiac Sunbird. I know this is the Subaru NG, but people here seem to have pretty good ideas on non-Subies to buy, such as in the recent "what's your choice?" thread. With that in mind, I'm looking for ideas and suggestions on what to show her. Used, of course, as there isn't anything new in her price range.

Don't bother suggesting Civics or Corollas, as I've already been through those with her. She does like the Jetta, (ugh) the Escape, (???) and the Jeep Liberty - not to be confused with the much better Subaru Liberty! I also showed her the Matrix and Vibe twins, and amazingly she did like those. Most of those vehicles are at the limit or beyond her price range though, so I'm hoping to find her something inexpensive and reliable. Any thoughts, including on the cars she does like, are appreciated.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

The way you describe her looks to me she is 20~25 years old and looking for something more fun to drive. If I'm wrong you have my apology. :-)

I had the same problem with my brother (he was insisting on getting Jeep Cherokee or Liberty) and what I finally did is to let him get it himself. I mean I went with him for a test drive and all but it was 100% his decision and I didn't want to push him in any direction only because I thought if something goes wrong with the car I talk him into, he would never forgive me. After almost 2 years he is very happy with his choice (or he is hiding it well ;-) ).

My advice is, let her do her investigation and be there for her to narrow it down. Sometimes people want to be more independent and I guess this is one of those situations.

On the other side Matrix would be one of my choices. Then there is Honda SiR, Suzuki Aerio, Toyota Echo (in Canada, not sure for US).

Then there is new Mercedes Smart

It will be available fall 2004 in Canada. For US market I think no sooner then 2006. New should be around $16K CDN ~ $12.5K US Here is an article about it:
My $.02

Good luck, Voja

Hallraker wrote:

Reply to
Voja

Reply to
Ricardo Montalban

"Hallraker" wrote in news:pUi4d.22527$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com:

If she's hot, she should get a Jetta.... :D

-S.S.-

Reply to
SkaredShtles

Well, I was thinking if I traded my sister for a Yugo, I'd likely get the better end of the trade!

Reply to
JW

Just marry her off, then it is some other poor bloke's problem. Got me out of maintaining my sister's aging Subaru DL. ;-)

Brent.

PS: Might be just out of the price range, but you might check out Nissan Sentra's ('02 SE-R) or Altima's...

Reply to
brentlz