Can't Escape Ford

After my wife referred to the '93 LX 5.0 as "crappy", I reminded her that her '99 Mystique wasn't getting any younger. It was time to think about trading it in.

While I can go years without sitting in a new car, I want her to have a no-brainer vehicle - something new, that she can get in, start up, and rest assured that it'll get her where she's going. She doesn't appreciate the instant adventures that occur when thing break.

(Come to think of it, I've never even sat in any Mustang newer than '93. But that's beside the point. )

Now, sometimes I swear I married the wrong woman. She knows little about cars, doesn't really like to drive. She "puts up with" my fixation on the Philadelphia Eagles, and often "does me a favor" by going out shopping while the game is on. Needless to say, my passions are not hers, and vice versa.

Trying to pin her down on what car she'd like next is difficult. She thinks she likes the Hyundai Santa Fe. (I'm sorry... it's ugly. They got the front fenders wrong, with those bulbous swells that are echoed throughout the lineup.) I tried to steer her toward Subaru or even a my-first-BMW (a 325xi with AWD), but no interest. All she knows is that she doesn't want another "old fart car." (I did not point out that it may, in fact, be the driver, not the car.)

So she threw out the Ford Escape.

Now, I'm not one for SUVs, but she'd had a couple of Escapes as rentals and enjoyed them. So I'm shopping...

Two local Ford dealers have acres of Escapes on their lots. Prices range from $23K to almost $27K, and all that I saw came with standard packages, and almost all with the 4X4 option. I'm betting that this would be a good time to get a deal on one (although Ford's $1500 cash-back offer ends today, and Jean's out of town until Thursday). It's small, as far as SUVs go, and not really intended for off-roading (eh... I can't see Jean going off-road unless something went really, really wrong). More of a big station wagon...

Anybody got one of these puppies, that can give me some real-world review?

dwight '88 LX ragtop, in for rear main seal '93 LX 5.0 hatch, waiting for replacement radiator '05 GT, calling me, calling me...

Reply to
dwight

I know that if *I* were in the market for an SUV, it would be the Escape.

Why? The thing is still small, 4x4 if you like I like going to the snow), doesn't look like a minivan or sherman tank, not too bad on fuel and cute as heck. In fact, I fancy a yellow one.

Kate

[...]
SVTKate

Frankly, after living with a 2-door Explorer for a year now, I'd buy an Escape in a heartbeat. I think they look cool in comparison to their competition, come with a pretty powerful V6 (optional I think) Are roomier inside than they look on the outside and I think they have IRS. If I were buying a NEW SUV in that size, I'd buy the Escape over a new Explorer Sport hands down. Just a very useful vehicle especially in your neck of the woods where I'm sure winters are pretty nasty.....although I HAVE been eyeing a particular BMW 323i in town for a few weeks now...but that's another story :-)

Mike

1997 Explorer Lowered with KYB Shocks Soon: 2003 Cobra Wheels
Reply to
Mike

Run Dick Run!!!

Reply to
Matt

LMAO! Yea! He broke my Terrorist!

He should have to replace it!

Kate

| >Why? | >The thing is still small, 4x4 if you like I like going to the snow), | doesn't | >look like a minivan or sherman tank, not too bad on fuel and cute as | heck. | >In fact, I fancy a yellow one. | >

| >Kate | | Run Dick Run!!!

Reply to
SVTKate

Absolutely love our Ford Escape. In fact, you can see its rear end in my link below.

At the 2000 auto show in Toronto I saw one at a distance - was darn near the next building away - and when I saw it under the Ford logo, on a hill of rocks I immediately said that was my next new car/truck. My best friend was with me that day and he knows for sure.

I wanted silver but didn't seem to be available on the 2001, in Canada, anyways. So I got white because I really didn't like any of the other colours. Yellow was too much like a utility truck and green - we test drove the green with beige interior, ugh. My wife didn't like it and I hated the 4 cylinder engine in it. Absolutely no guts whatsoever.

So we got a 6 cylinder and it has been a great vehicle for picking up everything for home renovations ['cept won't fit a full sheet of drywall inside, thankfully has roof racks] and for camping. I even managed to get a matching roof carrier [white on top, dark grey on bottom].

I am seeing more and more Escapes and less and less Explorers. And even less and less Expeditions and Excursions - the Excursion being the ugliest Ford on the market. Thankfully it's not as ugly as that GM abomination the Avalanche and it's sister pukemobile the Aztec.

Great little truck, hoping to get a new one next March when this lease is up.

Andrew Croft

'65 Caspian blue 6 cyl> After my wife referred to the '93 LX 5.0 as "crappy", I reminded her that

Reply to
Andrew Croft

I rode in an Escape from Indianapolis to Bristol Tennessee in the back seat and I was quite comfortable and I am 6'1" and 270lbs.. It rode pretty well and had plenty of power to haul 4 full size men and alot of beer to Bristol. I will probably buy one when the time comes to buy.

David Short

Reply to
Acura God

competition,

One site listed the competition as the Honda, the RAV-4, and the Mazda Tribute. I can't buy a Honda, don't respect the RAV-4, and the Mazda IS the Ford Escape. The Ford got pretty good numbers when compared to the other three, and it didn't hurt that they tested the Ford with the 3.0L six against 4-cylinders in the other three. The Escape probably isn't any bigger or heavier than a Taurus wagon, but I wish they'd offer something larger than the 3.0...

Philadelphia? Hell, we've forgotten what nasty winters are like. And then, even when it DOES snow, these big ol' trucks come around and push the snow off the streets for us. I think they're called ploughs.

Uh-oh... That's how it starts.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

We shall see. Jean's out in Colorado this week, and I still have to convince her that trading her car in is a good thing to do (she's leaning, and probably just needs a little more push).

Ideally, I'd like to wait until the Auto Show comes around again in January, but if she wants an Escape, she gets an Escape.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

yea yea yea... you guys TALK real tough! ;¬)

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

CRAPPY??!!!!! Do Thems fightin words!! Domestic abuse!!

Take the blower off before you trade the Frog on that 05. Ugh, that gave me shivers....

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

And since I'm single, I can get away with it!! :-p

Reply to
Greg B.

brat child... you just hide and watch, your turn is coming ....

Kate

| > yea yea yea... you guys TALK real tough! | > ;¬) | >

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

You planning on getting a couple of your female friends to find me and whip me into submission? Better watch out! I might like that! LOL

Reply to
Greg B.

Pre-vert!

No.. I'll sic my eldest daughter on you... she's mean, like her momma LOL

Kate

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

You are a mean one! If she's still a full-time student (college) I can get her a discount on the airporter!

**What the heck am I doing??? I must be asking for it!!**
Reply to
Greg B.

Nope, she's a Veterinary Nurse... She'd crop your tail, dock your ears and neuter you before you could even get your head out of the boot LOL!

Kate

| > No.. I'll sic my eldest daughter on you... she's mean, like her momma LOL | >

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

at 06 Aug 2003, SVTKate [ snipped-for-privacy@excite.competitive] wrote in news:5CdYa.2150$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com:

Maybe she needs to visit Cindy and do a job on that drunk that totalled the Honda? :-)

Reply to
Paul

Well, I have been accused of being an animal before. And getting my tail cropped isn't so bad: wouldn't have to worry about her grabbing it to haul me back from the next new shinny Stang that comes around; the neutering part would be to my advantage: wouldn't have to worry about any little Greg's running around. Now that part about croppin' my ears, that I'd have to think about......ok, thought about it. Guess I'll just have to let my hair grow long so she'll have something to hang on to during the wild monkey dance!! LOL

Reply to
Greg B.

LOL!

| > Kate | >