New Outback H6

Went to the Sydney motor show and saw the new Outback H6 wagon. Mmmmm very nice. 180kw (240hp) and 297nm (I think 225ftlbs) and weighs 50kg less than the old Outback H6. It also has the new 5 speed tiptronic auto transmission.

I was very impressed with the new look and appointments so I went to my dealer to see if they had one to test drive, but unfortunately not, so I test drove the Liberty GT wagon(Legacy for the US). This is the turbo 2.0litre with the same 5 speed auto tiptronic. I thought I'd try this as it has the same power as the Outback H6 and slightly more torque just to see how the new transmission was.

This is one hell of a car. It really moves. They quote 0-100km (0-60mph) in 6.5 sec. and it sure feels it. The new 5 speed tiptronic is excellent. Changes very quicky and smoothly, much better than the old slushbox. Steering feel is also excellent and handles brilliantly whilst being quiet, only a low burble from the 2.0litre turbo boxer 4. There are tiptronic gear change buttons on the steering wheel and this is great to use! Fit and finish is superb, they really have come along way (these are built in Japan)

I had read in one of the motor mags somewhere where they said the H6 motor in the Outback is a better drive than the Liberty GT turbo. If that is the case I can't wait to drive the Outback H6. I've only had my current Outback H6 for 18 months but I'm sorely tempted to trade it in on the new H6. All the Outbacks that are sold in Australia are monotone now thank goodness, none of this two tone paint job which really used to make them look cheap. My current Ouback H6 is a monotone pearl white but all other colours were the two tone.

This new series of Liberty's (Legacy) and Outbacks I think will sell so well they won't be able to keep up with demand.

Reply to
Lance B

The delivery date for orders of the Liberty GT premium is January at the moment

Reply to
Subie25l

Would this be the newest style of Legacy/Outback such as the one we see on this link?

Ron

Reply to
Rockin Ronnie

That's the one. Has it been released for sale in North America yet ?

Reply to
Losiho

Nope. We won'tsee it until late 2004 as a 2005 model year. The U.S. market usually gets a 'import' vehicles a year to 2 years later then Europe or Japan if at all.

Side Bar: Just look at the P>

Reply to
null

Only you guys get the ugly version, because "Lutzy" wanted it to look more "American" !

About time you guys got some aussie cars over there :p

Reply to
Losiho

I would say early summer of 2005 rather than the fall. Does anyone know why we have to wait that long in view of the fact that other markets get it now?

Ron

Reply to
Rockin Ronnie

I heard it is coming to the US in early 2004 as a 2005 model...maybe April? That's what I read in one of the car mags...

Mort

Reply to
Mort and Pam Shuman