Parking brake handle repair

Hi folks,

I have a 96 Outback, and the parking brake handle is acting flaky: it doesn't solidly "click" anymore, and sometimes falls back down when pulled up and released. If I reach my finger in through the opening at the base of the handle, I can put manual pressure on the "trigger" that fits in the gears, and while I do that the handle behaves normally (clicks and holds just fine).

I have a few theories about what might be happening. My first theory is that the tension has lessened between the thumb button and that trigger. I noticed that if I hold down the thumb button and move that trigger around with my finger, there's about 1/8 inch of play, which would be enough to keep it from latching properly. So perhaps the spring or cable or whatever runs through that handle needs adjusting.

Another possibility is that that "trigger" (help me out with the vocab!) has worn down a bit. That bit of play in the trigger may be normal, but maybe it just doesn't reach as far any more.

Another option is that maybe the parking brake cable needs adjustment. The Chilton's manual says lifting the brake lever should take 7 or 8 clicks, and mine takes about 11 right now. It doesn't seem right, but maybe when the cable needs tightening handle can stop latching?

So, are there other options, or is one of these most likely? If it's a problem with the trigger itself, is there any hope of repair, or should I just bite the bullet and replace the handle assembly?

Thanks!

Dave

Reply to
Dave N

Dave N wrote: (clip) Another option is that maybe the parking brake cable needs adjustment.(clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ It does sound like your cable needs adjustment--a fairly easy job, and you should do it. However, when I bought my '99 Outback, it was so bad that the car would roll backwards on hills--yet the clicking was just fine. I don't think the two things are related.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (Leo Lichtman) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Thanks, Leo. The manual says I need to bleed the brake hydraulic system before adjusting the parking brake cable. Is that absolutely necessary, or can I just jump right to the cable adjustment (which looks far simpler)?

Reply to
Dave N

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I don't have the service manual, so I went by the Owner's Manual. It tells how many clicks the lever should have between off and tight, so I set it to that, and it is fine now. If you try to do the adjustment and it doesn't work, I would certainly consider bleeding as the next undertaking.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman