Looking for 2004 Forester comments

Hello,

I'm looking for a replacement for my aging Honda and recently test drove a 2004 Forester X. The local dealer has several that have between 8K - 11K miles with automatic transmissions. I liked the car very much, but after reading this group, I'm beginning to wonder about several things. I'm hoping that some of you can comment on whether some of the comments I've read are serious problems, or just notes from some disgruntled owners.

The comments that seem repeated:

  1. Paint chips easily
  2. The body dents easily, especially the hood
  3. Engines leak oil
  4. Piston slap WILL happen
  5. Windows rattle
  6. Automatic transmissions that get confused or are hesitant to downshift
  7. The AC is weak (I live in S. Texas, so good AC is necessary!)

Are these truly concerns or just isolated complaints?

Thanks Bob (remove NOSPAM) to reply directly

Reply to
Bob

Bob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hi Bob,

I've got a 2003 Forester X (close enough to the '04 that you'd never notice the difference) and I think I can address some of these:

Yes, I've noticed this. At least it chips more easily than any other car I've ever owned (including Toyotas, Fords and Volkswagens). In fact, my daughter managed to chip all the way through the surface coats and primer by simply being a little careless with the rear seatbelt buckle.

Unfortunately, yes. I managed to pretty severely dent a rear door while loading a rooftop carrier while on vacation. I've also had dents in the hood and a couple shopping cart dents in the fenders. I'd have to say that this was the biggest disappointment I've had with the vehicle. On the plus side, dents have been easy to have popped out. In fact, I've considered making an annual appointment with a local body shop that has an employee that can make the dents all but disappear for about $25 each.

As I've only clocked up a little over 15K miles, I can't speak to long term leaks. I did have one for a while when I changed the oil and I didn't torque the drain plug sufficiently. I've been considering installing a Fumoto drain valve so I can change the oil without raising the vehicle.

Can't speak to this although some in this group have written that the pistons have been redesigned to prevent this.

I haven't had this problem in the 20 months I've had the car. I occaisionally had a sqeaking noise happen when raising or lowering the rear windows, but I understand a judicious application of silicone lubricant helps. I've also noticed that keeping the windows clean helps.

I've never noticed the behavior in my AT Forester. Of course, when I want to drive in a spirited manner, I downshift it manually.

While I find the AC adequate for summers here in PA, it might not be for someone in your area. It definitely doesn't get as cold as the AC in the cars I've owned previously (some of which could nearly make snow come out the vents). Of course, this is the first vehicle I've had with R134a AC, though, and I know they aren't as efficient as R12 systems.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Bender

On a Forester? Surely you jest.

I change oil on my WRX without lifting it.

Reply to
CompUser

I've had my '04 XT for 14 months, 18,500 miles. Haven't experienced any of the problems you mention, so far. As for the air conditioning, it seemed quite adequate last summer in driving across southern California and western Arizona deserts in excess of 100 degrees F. It's true, the automatic temperature control is not the best in terms of maintaining a constant temp, but it can cool when it needs to. The automatic sometimes (infrequently) will shift a bit abruptly when it hasn't quite figured out what I'm doing, but I don't consider this an issue. Bottom line: I love this car.

HW

Reply to
Hal Whelply

I agree. Ditto my 99 OB Ltd & 91 Liberty wagon. Outback air worked adequately in 39C (102F?) heat in Oz last week - humidity was over 60%. Not the greatest but still cooled us both fine. Bonnet seems to be biggest paint issue apart from clumsiness by passengers or shoppers. Buy a front protector for the hood. For the shopeers? Install a very big dog and leave the windows open perhaps? Cheers

Reply to
hippo