Question regarding temporary use spare tire

I had to fix my third flat in about 18 months today, and that got me thinking: How many times/miles are the temporary use spare tiress in Subarus good for (I'm driving a '99 OBW)? I'm sure I put more than the 50 miles I've heard they are rated for on it over those last three trips to the tire shop. I'm starting to wonder if I should just bite the bullet and replace it soon.

TIA

Mike

Reply to
Mike Rezsutek

The "50 miles" you're referring to is the advice not to drive on the spare at over 50 mph. The actual mileage you get out of the spare depends on the type of driving you do and whether the spare was on a front or back axle (putting it on the front wears it out faster).

You can expect at least 500-1000 miles on a spare.

Like any other passenger tire, there are wear indicator bars built into the tread of the spare tire. Replace the tire when the tread wears down to those bars.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Bailin