Oil Over Fill

Just had an oil/filter change at the Dealer

Reply to
MLD

Go back. Factory spec should not be over full.

Reply to
thenitedude

stick and noticed that the oil level is about 1/2 in. over the fill mark. My guess is that it is equivalent to about a 1/2 Qt. Obviously, the Tech just filled to factory Spec and never checked the dip stick level. Question, of course, is whether or not this is a harmful overfill and whether or not to go back to the Dealer and have it corrected.

Its nothing to worry about IMHO. I've had vehicles overfilled by 1.5 quarts without problems.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I agree, it probably wont hurt anything, but with a car like that, = you dont want someone doing careless work. We took ours to the dealer last year for an oil change = (and I dont like to go to dealerships), and they left the oil drain plug finger tight.

This car uses an odd number of quarts of oil in the first place. IIRC, = correct fill is a bit unusual in the first place. I think (but dont hold me to the fire on it) that the = correct fill is about 6.3 quarts.

It is easy enough to drain a little out. =20

Complain to the service writer at the dealership =20 "MLD" wrote in message = news:gp0pdp$r9s$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org... Just had an oil/filter change at the Dealer

Reply to
HLS

want someone doing

dont like to go to

Remember to mention this the next time somebody rags on Jiffy-Lube.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 11:49:11 -0400, "MLD" wrote:

stick and noticed that the oil level is about 1/2 in. over the fill mark. My guess is that it is equivalent to about a 1/2 Qt. Obviously, the Tech just filled to factory Spec and never checked the dip stick level. Question, of course, is whether or not this is a harmful overfill and whether or not to go back to the Dealer and have it corrected.

You may not be overfull at all. You may just see the distortion caused by the sealing of the dipstick to the tube causing excess oil in the tube. Likewise, the tech may have unwittingly gotton an erroneous reading because of this. Any slope where the vehicle is parked can also make a difference. It is also possible the tech put in 5 full qts instead of the 4.3785999 qts spec'd. They charge for 5 qts in a standard oil change. Sure as hell some lawyer would eventually file a class action lawsuit for a refund of the value of the oil not actually installed at service. It also takes a few minutes for the fresh oil to warm enough to drain to the oil pan so an accurate reading is possible. If the tech waits 5 minutes to get the most accurate reading. the customer in the waiting room is wanting to know what is taking so long while the technician is losing money during the non-productive time. I wouldn't give 2 seconds of worry to less than a quart over full. I damn sure wouldn't waste time and money to drive back. I would note it to register a complaint next time in for an oil change just so they would be on their toes to get it a bit closer. Oil fill level is not as critical on a production automobile as it would be in a competition setup. More of the oil is in suspension at high engine rpm's than at typical street vehicle speeds. A low oil level is much more of a concern and many folks don't seem to worry themselves with that problem.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

he dip stick and noticed that the oil level is about 1/2 in. over the fill mark. My guess  is that it is equivalent to about a 1/2 Qt.  Obviously, the Tech just filled to factory Spec and never checked the dip stick level .  Question, of course, is whether or not this is a harmful overfill and whether or not to go back to the Dealer and have it corrected.

I'd suggest doing your own oil changes. It's not that hard, and at least that way you know that you correctly tightened the drain plug, didn't over tighten the oil filter, and put the correct amount of the correct grade of oil into the engine.

As for being a half inch over the full mark, my cars typically sit around that area after I do an oil change. I buy a 5 qt bottle of oil, and I put it all in. 111,000 miles later on my daily driver it still works just fine and doesn't leak anything.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

I'd suggest doing your own oil changes. It's not that hard, and at least that way you know that you correctly tightened the drain plug, didn't over tighten the oil filter, and put the correct amount of the correct grade of oil into the engine.

As for being a half inch over the full mark, my cars typically sit around that area after I do an oil change. I buy a 5 qt bottle of oil, and I put it all in. 111,000 miles later on my daily driver it still works just fine and doesn't leak anything.

Chris

Changing my own oil is a thing of the past--When kids were home I used to line up 4 cars and do 4 oil changes one after another. Still did it after they all moved out until I finally said enough--haven't done it myself since. MLD

Reply to
MLD

Pretty much my pattern, except one of the kids took over. This past summer I got fed up with the mess in the garage. Took about 30 gallons of old oil to Murrays. They imposed a 5-gallon a day limit on me. But since he moved into his own place with a girlfriend I can't rely on him, so I'm going to start doing my own 2 cars again when it warms up. Plan on buying a bottle of Hacker-Schorr Weissbrau to take to garage every time I do it. Incentivize myself.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

The oil fill on that engine, with filter, is 6.4 US quarts, Lug.

Reply to
HLS