Re: 1995 Legacy, Cigarette Lighter Light

That's funny -- my Haynes manual does show a light in the cigarette

> lighter -- it is a branch between the radio and the hazard switch > circuits. The wires are green and yellow/blue.

I thought that the ring shaped bezel around the lighter socket was illuminated myself, but when I took it apart it was shiny gray plastic that wasn't possible to illuminate. It could have been a feature that was removed due to cost or supply problems, but maybe I'm missing something here. I know that the wiring was messed up when I got it, there were 3 wires and only the ground was connected. Hooking up one of the wires solved the problem, but I think the other one may have been for illumination and wasn't used.

If you need to see the lighter that bad, get a chrome one from an auto parts store. My old Crown Vic had a chrome lighter and I could see it with even the tiniest amount of outdoor or interior light at night.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Oh, that's a light? I just assumed it was the power for the radio and lighter, but that doesn't explain the hazard :-)

-- Dominic Richens | snipped-for-privacy@alumni.uottawa.ca "If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

Reply to
Dominic Richens

Don't know if this helps b/c it's a different car, but we have a 99 Legacy Outback. The cigarette lighter is directly right of the pull-out ashtray. There is no light over the cigarette lighter, but there is a light inside the ashtray that is turned on when you open it. I learned this because I lost the ashtray about a year ago. The replacement parts included not only the ashtray itself (which is the only thing I wanted to buy, but Subaru wouldn't sell it separately), but also the metal, ashtray frame with light and wiring.

Reply to
L. Kreh

You could always get it and then attempt to ebay the leftover parts (in your case the frame and wiring.) There's got to be someone out there who still has the ashtray itself but lost or broke the frame or lighting.

It annoys me that automakers insist on selling common parts like that as a set with uncommon parts. I've seen people lose ashtrays before, an old friend of mine had a habit of throwing them out the window.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Now I know why the experts say smoking is dangerous . . .

Reply to
Timothy Lyster