maxima cigarette lighter

Hello, I have a 98' Nissan Maxima SE. The cigarette lighter never worked. I would like the use it to charge my cell phone. Does anyone here know what could be wrong and how to fix it? Could it be a burnt out fuse?

Thanks, Billy

Reply to
Billy Cormic

The 12VDC supply connector in the vehicle passenger compartment can be used for a cigarette lighter or to power other equipment such as a cell phone, PDA or notebook computer.

The 12VDC supply connector is only active when the key is in the ignition and in the Accessories position, notable because the Stereo works but the Windows do not or in the Start position, notable as the windows also work.

If the car engine is running the 12VDC connector will always have power.

The above operation is detailed in the Owners Manual.

Your unfamiliarity with your car indicates that you have not read the owners manual. You should take an hour and sit down with your pipe in an easy chair and read the Owners Manual. There are a large number of special features and systems in your car that you are not aware of that are detailed in the Owners Manual and knowing these things will make you a better consumer and driver.

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

LOL, what part of, "I would like the use it to charge my cell phone", was unclear to you?

My guess is he knows that too.

I don't think it's a PEBKAC isssue here. He didn't say it didn't work when the car was shut off. "never" means to me, that it didn't work at any point, including while the car was running. He even says so, "The cigarette lighter never worked."!

Obviously there's an issue with the outlet. It 'may' be that the wiring connector is unplugged in behind the dash; The lighter socket may also be defective; Or it could be a blown fuse or possibly a bad wire.

What are you smoking in your pipe Dick?

Reply to
+G

Well, I did look it up in the owners manual before posting and was unable to get it work. There really was not much in the manual other than what you said. I both turned the car completely on and in the accessory position and the cigarette lighter still did not work. It has never worked. Do you have anyother ideas?

Reply to
Billy Cormic

OK. I have just put in a 15A fuse that controls the cigarette lighter, but the cigarette lighter works fine. Strangely there was a

10A fuse in the cigarette lighter where the 15A should have been. This must have been done in the factory. Could this have permanently screwed up the cigarette lighter? What else can I try?

Billy

Reply to
Billy Cormic

No... the different fuse could not have screwed up the lighter... but then you said it works fine after replacement??

Maybe you mis-typed.... problem is elsewhere...

Q's... was the 10A fuse blown? did the 15A blow when you put it in (could be a short after the fuse block) ... was the lighter in when you replaced the fuse (that could be the short, so be sure to leave it out... and don't use it to test if the socket is working)

using bug-light or meter... is there 12V at the battery side of the fuse? (could be open in harness)... if there is, is their 12 volt at the lighter socket, with known-good fuse in place (could be an open in the wire from fuse to lighter socket).

Well... there you go... at least you should be able to isolate if the problem is the lighter, before or after the fuse block and the nature of the problem (short or open).

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh

EXACTLY! Thanks positve_g! I am not quite as stupid as Richard made me out to be. Now that I am sure it is not an issue with the fuse (see my previous post) it has to be something else. As you noted it is an issue w/ the outlet. You said that it could be any of the following:

  1. It 'may' be that the wiring connector is unplugged in behind the dash;
  2. The lighter socket may also be defective;
  3. Or it could be a blown fuse or possibly a bad wire.

Do I have to take it to a mechanic to fix any of these problems or can I do it myself? Or is it pretty easy to do 1 - 3.

PS I just said it was for my cellphone, for simplicity. I am actually trying to install an XM satellite radio. I'm not sure if that is any better though.

Thanks, Billy

Reply to
Billy Cormic

I just took my lighter apart to check on the A/C fan switch. I'd say you could do this yourself easily. Just go buy a lighter socket (and as others mentioned and maybe a new lighter).

I had to start from the bottom (by my 5 speed shifter) and work up taking the plastic fronts off (some screwed in, some popped out).

Reply to
+G

Hey G, Is there a web page that tells how to take off the plastic fronts? I've never done this before. Also what sorts of tools would I need.

Billy

Reply to
Billy Cormic

I used my fingers a small standard.

5spd. I started the shifter part off with the small standard; it popped off with my fingers.

Just don't pull too hard or you'll break the plastic. Another tip would be to put masking tape on any "leather" dash surface, keeps the scratches to a minimum.

Reply to
+G

Well, I didn't really want to say you were stupid, in fact, I never used that word.

Your post about what is the Fuel Filler Cap led me to believe that you had an extremely limited knowledge of your automobile.

Two of my neighbours also own Maximas and both of them came to me at one time and told me that the lighter didn't work at all. When I went to look at their cars, they did not know that the key had to be on to have any voltage. Their former North American cars always had power on the lighter regardless of the ignition key position. So, I extrapolated their experience to yours and voila, that, coupled with your Fuel Filler Cap question and I figured that you had better read the manual.

I apologize for jumping to conclusions, but given your Fuel Filler Cap question, it just seemed probable.

So tell me, why did you ask what a Fuel Filler Cap was? Did you really not know, or were you trying to be funny?

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Reply to
john smith

I am having a similar problem, but in this case the cigarette lighter used to work but now no longer does. I've pulled the socket out and verified that there is no voltage regardless of the position of the key or whether the engine is on. I suppose it must be a blown fuse, but I'll be darned if I can find it. Everything else seems to work fine. Would there be a standalone fuse for just the lighter socket, and if so how could I find it? There's no diagram (at least not one I can find) in the Owner's Manual, and it looks like there at least three fuseboxes under the hood, which is a lot of fuses to check manually. I noticed that an earlier poster said he had changed the fuse from 10A to 15A, so I'm hoping he will tell me where he found it!

Thanks.

Reply to
rmorgan1016

Might help if you post (or re-post) what year Maxima this is. There are fuses in the car as well as under the hood on most if not all of them. Look in the vicinity of the lower left corner of the dash. The diagram is usually on the inside of the fuse box cover.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Aha! Well, it's a 98, but thanks to your help I found the fuse. I appreciate the advice!

Reply to
rmorgan1016

Reply to
john smith

THAT IS A DUMB IDEA!!! NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER change a fuse to a higher amperage to get it to work! Engineers with FAR more electronic experience than you or I determined what amperage that fuse should be, and upping the amps could cause a fire, so unless you are trying to collect on fire insurance DON'T DO IT!

Now as far as your question, there is only one fuse for the cig. ltr. if it is not blown, start looking for a bad ground. (because if the power wire to the lighter had broken, chaffed, or otherwise been damaged, and touched a chassis part, it would blow the fuse) Good Luck

2Maximas

Reply to
Bitsbucket

Geez, this tuff does seem to hang around, This topic was posted like, 3 months ago.

Reply to
Richard Tomkins