'95 Subaru Legacy Lighter socket

Sorry, all I know is getting the bezel off is a BIT@H!!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

My Son's '95 Subaru Legacy has a dead lighter socket. Is access to the back or the socket difficult? Does the radio need to come out?

He acquired this car from another relative who had the radio replaced with aftermarket several years ago. I'm assuming the power cord from the lighter was moved to the new radio. The relative can't recall if the lighter socket worked before the radio was changed or not.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

If I ever figure out how bad my '97's heads are, maybe I'll get to that next spring...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Cup holder needs to be first removed. Then the radio. Then remove ash tray. Directly above the ash tray there are 2 screws. Hardest part of the job removing these 2 screws. Now the radio bezel can be pulled and access to the lighter gained. Good chance when the radio was installed years ago, the hot wire to the lighter just wasn't reconnected. Sort of a little bear to plug back in and can be easily overlooked. I know I did overlook it when I install my first radio.

Reply to
johninky

Thanks, Johninky. Seems pretty straighforward. I also found a web site after I posted this with pictures. I'm kind of glad it didn't involve laying upside down on the seat and trying to curl my 60 year old body under the dash. :-)

My son is heading to college next week so I'll have the car home for a while to get this done.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

I did this once in my daughter's Forester so I'm thinking it's just as sucky.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Those 2 hidden screws will above the ashtray will involve some contorting to remove. Thinking the trim piece around the shifter will also have to be popped free but no big deal. You'll need one of those little right angle screwdrivers. Good luck.

Reply to
johninky