Re: Better gas mileage with Super octane?

First thought is since you're driving in km/hr and getting fuel economy

> in mpg, Imp g's at that, your poor computer is just simply confused. And > they think WE'RE crazy south of the 49th with OUR measuring systems!

Nah, I just did the conversion to mpg ahead of time for you guys, since I know you definitely won't understand our litres/100km gas mileage rating system. In that system, it's better to have lower numbers for better gas mileage. You should be able to understand km/h vs. mph, and imperial vs. US gallons easily though -- at least in relative terms.

But when the last cup of coffee of the day kicks in, it will reveal that > has nothing do do with it, and you may actually have benefited from any > number of things. Was this trip during some of the recent heat wave?

If anything, this trip was during a cooler period. The heat wave had just ended the week before. It's not cold yet, but it's milder than during the heat wave period.

Higher temps = thinner air for less wind resistance. They also cause the > tires to run warmer, effectively raising the pressure. Higher pressure > usually = better mpg. Maybe there was a change in wind. Maybe, since I > once experienced a similar thing (long trip, small town gas station, out > of both low and med grades, had to fill up on the 'spensive juice) when > my Loyale, that was very consistent at 27-29 mpg on similar trips, and > only rarely broke 30 with a light foot and careful adherence to a > slightly lower speed than usual, turned in 38 mpg despite no respect for > a particular speed, we were fully loaded, and a coupla other "mileage > killer" factors were in play. I wrote it off as a total fluke, cuz it > never did anything like that again. Later experiments w/ higher grade > fuel showed it to be a false economy for that car. As the others have > said, one trip doesn't tell enough of the story to rely on.

Judging by the various responses here, there seems to be something to this higher mileage for more expensive gas thing. Maybe the oil companies can't legally claim you'll get better gas mileage with higher octane fuels because they may not be able to guarantee it in all conditions, but there may be some conditions where this holds true.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
YKhan

Hi,

You know I was just funnin' ya! The computer doesn't care WHAT system you use when it's figuring how much fuel to meter out... but I will admit I always have to think twice to make sure I go from distance/vol of fuel with MPG to the reverse with L/100KM (which is about the only metric conversion I can think of right now that makes NO sense to me! Seems to involve a bit more computation than necessary. Maybe I just haven't looked at it close enough?)

As we've mentioned, there are just TOO MANY variables to predict gas mileage. For example, conventional wisdom as I've heard it is that the engine will run better in cooler temps, cuz the denser air contains a higher amount of oxygen per unit volume, yet my experience has always been I get better economy in hotter temps. I've always attributed that to lower wind resistance and a probably increase in tire pressure. Especially since I notice the differences more when on longer trips when I can just get out and cruise at steady speeds for a while.

Has anyone else noticed that kind of thing?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Can't say I understand the reasons why L/100km was chosen as opposed to km/L, which would have been a simple multiplication factor. Monkeys must have come up with the idea.

Me. I always thought it was because the temperature of the air going into the engine was closer to ideal. But then, if it gets too hot I turn the a/c on!!

Chicobiker

Reply to
Chicobiker