Help: Quick Tribeca Question

I just bought a Tribeca, but the manual is missing. Can someone tell me where I can plug in my iPod to the stereo. I have read you can do it, but I do not see where the input is.

Thanks,

- Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Strasser

Hi Kevin!

I looked in my manual but there is no mention of connecting an iPod or other auxiliary source to the stock radio. The CD player will play MP3s from a CD-R -- if that's any help.

Cheers, Ian Vogt

Reply to
Ian

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Subie stock radios CANNOT be upgraded or modified for plug-and-play operation with an iPod. Unfortunatly Subaru stock radios are made by Panasonic (Mashushita Electronics) which has a historic reputation for building junk that's 3 years out of date on a consistent basis.

Your best bet is to RIP OUT the stock Subaru factory radio and buy an aftermarket iPod compatible radio from Circuit City or Crutchfield or elsewhere.

(Curious to note that Honda radios were .Mp3 and iPod ready in their 2005 model year, but subaru still supplies radios with an optional cassette player?? - as usual, Subaru is a day late and $2 short....)

Reply to
Gridleakkbe3

Yep, and they have horrible stock speakers too. I dunno if they just assume everyone will upgrade to after market or what.

I THINK there is an iPod adapter that some folks like which goes in-line with the antenna input - maybe a stereo shop could install one for you?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

There are some "cigarette lighter" plug FM modulators that claim to feed the signal back to the in-dash radio via the power wiring (no antenna fittings). The one I bought works in some vehicles but not others. A lot depends on what wires/harnesses can radiate out to the vehicle antenna. It works fine in my 95 Chevy standard van at work; but not in the fibersplice stepvan.

Unfortunately the clearance place I bought mine from no longer handles them. For $12 it would be worth a try; kludgey as that solution is!

My 2000 OBW Limited came with the idiotic CD(only)/cassette combo. It actually didn't sound all that bad after replacing the speakers with something decent and adding the Soobie subwoof. I did treat myself to a skookum head unit anyway ;} (and it has an AUX input!)

I've been "reminded" of those crappy stock speakers for three days. The

2005 Forester loaner I'm driving has more buzzes/thuds/squawks/threeps than *any* OEM sound system this new and time in use. With the bass set at -1 the armrests put out more sound than the speakers do on deep bass notes.
Reply to
nobody

I tried two different units in my 05 OBW; the cheaper one, the Griffith (?) worked very poorly. The more expensive unit, one from DLO at almost $100, works well if not perfectly. You can set it to any FM station you wish and it charges as it plays...great for long road trips.

My only complaint is that in some areas, you do get some static. E.g., we recently drove a relative to a retreat in West Virginia and up in the hills the reception was so good and there were so many stations crowding the dial, it was impossible to get static-free play with the iPod.

is the URL for DLO.

Good luck, Bob

Reply to
Gunny

Did you buy it new or used? If new, I'd contact the dealer, Subaru or both but if used then contact your used car dealer. I sell new and used and wouldn't think of not ordering one for one of my customers. I also don't believe that it has an external plug in port for an Ipod although it may be something that a Subaru parts dept might be able to order for you.

Reply to
NissanSalesRep