Re: blow off valve

Now I know this may sound silly, but you did re-attach it exactly the same way as it come off, didnt you. ie you got the valve around the right way (small arrow on it pointing towards rh side of the car), and you re-attached the vacuum hose to the same place from where you removed it? Also if you have fitted an aftermarket air cleaner (maybe a pod filter) you will still be able to hear the turbo venting when rolling off the throttle, aftermarket air intakes arent as quiet due to all the baffles being removed. You shoudnt notice a preformance drop as the standard blow off valve actually open under initial acceleration (until the turbo starts providing positive pressure) and provides a handy short-cut for the incoming air by-passing the turbo, allowing it to spin up quicker. So all in all, I think it sounds as tho the spring in the BOV has broken, or you have fitted it round the wrong way, or you have attached the wrong vacuum hose. Any help?

Having not alot to do one night I decided to disconnect my blow factory off > valve on my 91 RS legacy to see what effect it had on the car. -As you do. > > My car makes a bit of BOV whosh sound when changing gear at high boost > pressure (its chipped to 14psi), and ever since I took off the snorkel its > quite noticeable, not aftermaket BOV sound but makes peoples head turn. > > I assumed this was the BOV so when I disconnected it I was supprised to > STILL rear the whosh sound. > > I took off the BOV and checked it was still working and it was ( I took it > out of the car and applied some vaccuum to the vaccuum hose connector & blew > through it). I was supprised how much resistance there was when I blew > through it though. It was also very quiet it was pruducing a rumbling sound > as opposed to a whoosh. > > I did notice a change in performace too, when changing gears the throttle > responce was slower and the boost pressure didn't drop as quickly when I > throttled off. There was also a fluttering sound while the turbo spoolled > down between gear changes ( like when you blow on a electric fan - as you > do). > > My question is where is the whooshing sound comming from? > > Thoughs? > > Mike > >
Reply to
Dee