Running Lights

How can I kill those stupid running lights? In what, my '03 H6 Outback.

I find that they turn off when the parking brake is set. Could I tap into that circuit and short something to turn those lights off?

Al

Reply to
Al

Flip the switch on the top of the steering column. It has a picture nof a light on it.

Reply to
Alan

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 13:01:21 GMT, "Alan" wrote in news:bjhuio$j5opo$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-114862.news.uni-berlin.de:

I'll leave the debate for and against DRLs to a google search, it has been covered enough times. But please leave them on for two lane highways.

Of course you can install a parallel switch somewhere to control the DRLs through intercepting the parking brake switch wiring.

Those are for the parking lights and are unrelated.

Reply to
Dave Null Sr.

I've learned to live with mine. They are convenient at times when you need a little light and I feel I don't have to turn on headlights when there is a little rain. What I do not know is if they are as obnoxious as those with full headlights all the time that make you put on your dimmer rearview mirror when they are in back of you. I doubt it but don't know for sure. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Nope. Ours are not as obnoxious as the ones to which I think you are referring! (wow...I really need a beer!). The Ford SUV's and light trucks are particularly offensive when they are approaching or following. Take notice; I like them, ut their headlight assembly (mirror, or bulb, or lens?) is offensive, as has been noted quite often in rec.autos.driving. Subies use the low beam headlights at a reduced wattage (still shines low), as opposed to some other makers that use the highbeams at reduced wattage (shine high, just as their highbeams do). I choose to leave my DRL's on. To turn them off also disables the brake warning light in the dash (not good if the brakes *do* fail), and as this is my first DRL car, I notice I rarely have a car pull out in front of me when there is insufficient distance (as opposed to my Mazda and wife's Honda that always got cut-off! sob!). Terry - '03 Silver Legacy SE sedan - 36 miles! '02 Regatta-Red GT wagon 5spd - 23k miles Yakima / TandeMover / Rockymount rack To reply, get rid of the "nonsense"

Reply to
TW-Ohio

Reply to
MIKE

Here's a link to a page on how to do it to a WRX, all you have to do is unplug the module, I'm sure yours is similar...

Jerry and Bea

Legacy/Baja/OBW is completely different from the WRX/Impreza/Forester.

Underneath the dash, bolted onto the steering column with one screw is the DRL module. This module has a WHITE and a BLACK plug on it. If you take out the screw and loosen the module, you will see that it is printed DRL right on it.

Unplug the WHITE plug. DRL's gone, headlights and brake warning lights still work. You don't need to mess with the e-brake switch.

Here's a link:

This should work for all MY2000(LATE) and up cars built on the Legacy platform. I know of one case where a MY2000 built in 1999 would not allow full use of the headlights after this, hence the (LATE) designation.

Reply to
Skweezieweezie